Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Government gets intrusive Washington State

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 AM
troy.j
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Government gets intrusive Washington State

Well, the helmet ***** are cracking down in Washington with language that, to me anyway, that says non-DOT helmets makes you a risk to the safety of others. To me the verbiage used says that if you don’t wear a dot helmet that you are a criminal out to harm others. Maybe I am just taking this the wrong way, but I have sent an email to
Chief John Batiste and I encourage you all to do the same. Below is the washington state media release.

Thanks all.

WWaasshhiinnggttoonn SSttaattee PPaattrrooll
MMeeddiiaa RReelleeaassee
CChhiieeff JJoohhnn RR.. BBaattiissttee
Captain Jeff DeVere
Government and Media Relations
(360) 596-4010 – office
(360) 596-4015 – fax
http://www.wsp.wa.gov
***For Immediate Release***
Date: June 18, 2009
Phone: 425-766-0812
E-mail: Christina.Martin@wsp.wa.gov
Motorcycle Riders: Wear a DOT Approved Helmet or Pay the Consequences
The Washington State Patrol (WSP) is stepping up enforcement efforts towards motorcycle riders that ride with helmets that are not Department of Transportation (DOT) approved and who are not properly endorsed.
Motorcycle injury and fatality collisions continue to rise, especially during the warm summer months when ridership is at the highest levels. Troopers are working diligently to stop reckless motorcyclists who not only put themselves, but other motorists in danger. The WSP will also be looking for riders who ride with helmets that do not meet DOT safety standards. Even the safest riders put themselves at increased risk when they ride without proper protective gear.
On August 10, 2008, a motorcyclist was killed on SR 410 in the Greenwater area. That motorcyclist was driving 15 MPH at the time of the collision; however, he was wearing a helmet that did not meet DOT safety standards and died as a result of a head injury. A few weeks later, another motorcyclist in the same area lost control of his motorcycle at speeds up to 80 MPH. He survived with only minor injuries. That very lucky motorcyclist was wearing all of the proper protective gear from head to toe, including a DOT approved motorcycle helmet.
In addition, troopers are finding an alarming number of riders who have not passed a motorcycle safety course and obtained the proper license endorsement. The WSP would like riders to know that if they are stopped and found to be unendorsed their motorcycle will be impounded.
“Rider’s have the power to save their own lives. Our job is to motivate them in that direction,” stated Chief John Batiste.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by troy.j
Well, the helmet ***** are cracking down in Washington with language that, to me anyway, that says non-DOT helmets makes you a risk to the safety of others.
That is not what this says. It says two things... you have lumped them together, whereas they are two different items.
"Troopers are working diligently to stop reckless motorcyclists who not only put themselves, but other motorists in danger."
and
"The WSP will also be looking for riders who ride with helmets that do not meet DOT safety standards."

Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
troy.j
Road Captain

While I agree the topics are separated in the media release, but the fact that they were even put in the same release makes them appear related. Non endorsed riders have nothing to do with helmets which have nothing to do with wreck less driving. To me it is just painting a negative image of motorcycles. Now let’s take a look at the last sentence in the release.

“Rider’s have the power to save their own lives. Our job is to motivate them in that direction,” stated Chief John Batiste.

I agree that there are a few idiots out there who shouldn’t be on a motorcycle let alone any other motorized vehicle. But this lumps all riders in a group of unmotivated, reckless individuals.

I do wear a flip up full-face helmet 99% of the time, so don’t go there, I know the safety risks, but it is my right to choose. I am tired of the government dictating to me what is safe for me to do and not to do when I am out here getting shot at and having rockets inbound about twice a week. I am fighting for freedom, so I can come home and have the government strip those freedoms? I take offence as a rider to be labeled as this release labels riders.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree on this. No more posts from me on this topic.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 AM
LEGENDCHROME
Cruiser

I have lived here all my life...I am not surprised at all with this states decisions...next they will tell you that you cant lower motorcycle due to decreased lean angles and its adverse effect on the public at large...Thank you Chris Gregoire for making us all safer by taking away our ability to think for ourselves..

Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Pezz
Cruiser

This is typical for Washington state, and many other states as well. Regulating common sense laws is wrong. I do understand where the patrol is coming from. It's outside what I call this forums "demographic" For some reason parents continue to allow and or buy their young adult children metric bikes with the ability to travel at or around 200 mph. I have on several occasions been almost killed by this population of riders who have zero regard for their own lives let alone other's. This is the ultimate reason that the WSP is cracking down. I have witnessed this in action and I have to say that myself on a Harley does not draw very much attention other than an approving nod from the patrol officers who are mostly bike people themselves, however if you ride like your pants are on fire and weaving in and out and just plain being stupid it does not matter what your on, if they see you your going to get pulled over.

I hold no bias towards any riders no matter what they ride, it's all in the wind for most of us. I do however have no respect for people who ride like they are on a race track and not only endanger their own lives but mine as well.

-B

Last edited by Pezz; 07-15-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:36 PM
LEGENDCHROME
Cruiser

wouldnt a simple law instatement help with all this? Why cant it be a requirement for sale that the purchaser have a valid endorsement? I sold Harley's for 4 years and made it a personal policy not to release a bike to an unendorsed rider, to many new bikes get piled up within an hour of leaving the parking lot. Seems like more sport bikes (buells included) take out other drivers when they get away from the rider.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain

Maybe it's Canada sucking the common sense out of Washington State...

Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Pezz
Cruiser

I would totally agree except you are forgetting that we are talking about the government here. If they can't raise any revenue they are not all about it even though it makes perfect sense.... The tow truck/impound yard owners and the state make a pretty penny every-time they impound a bike. Washington state is like the third or second highest taxed state in the nation with absolutely nothing to show for it. The insurance companies are the reason there is a helmet law in Washington, see my first post as to why. It sucks for the rest of us law biding people as we pay the price for the recklessness of a few.

-B

Old 07-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most likely if you follow the money you will see where this is coming from. The powers that be need to get as much money as they can since the state has such a big hole in their budget. From what i have seen the most people that are getting pulled over are flying a patch of some club. I have been pulled over just because and have seen others drive right on by,,, go figure

Old 07-15-2009, 03:42 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

troy.j,
Thanks for your service to our country. The silent majority appreciates it more than you guys know.

Hang in there. If I can make it in Illinois, you'll be fine in Washington. I understand your frustration like millions of other do.

Dennis

edited to add........ And BTW, Illinois is one of only two states in the union that doesn't issue ccw permits. It is also one of only (I think) three states that have no helmet laws. How do you make sense of that? Reminds me of an old joke. You know why God gave politicians one more brain cell than horses? So they don't chit in the streets during parades.

Last edited by rochkes; 07-15-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Government gets intrusive Washington State