Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Government gets intrusive Washington State

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kasper
I take some offence to your comment! If our goverment has sucked the common sense out of Washington State.....it hasn't made them any smarter. LOL.

We, just like you, do not particularly like our goverment forcing us to do things either. I and most of the people I know spend a great deal of time traveling in Washington State and this would have big ramifications on us as well. We still get away with wearing non DOT helmets for the time being and many of us do not own the DOT kind. I for one and probably alot of my friends will not be spending the money to purchase a DOT helmet until we absolutely have to, so I guess this will curb alot of Canadian Bikers from traveling South and spending our hard earned cash to help speed your economy into recovery.

I am all for personal choice.

Oh well....so much for attending the Oyster Run! Maybe see ya all next year!

Come on down anyway, at this time if you are not wearing a patch with a rocker most likely you will not be messed with right now, they are only enforcing the bullshit DOT helmets on those that wear a patch. but then by september they may be hitting on everyone, who knows

Old 07-16-2009, 12:27 AM
dabluesguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're gonna wear a helmet it might as well be a DOT. Those mushrooms can't make us any uglier than we already are. (I seen a lot of your pictures. No Brad Pitts on this forum). Wash. State Patrol also issues a lot of noisy muffler tickets. Anything not stock seems to be taboo to them. That's more of a pisser to me.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:23 AM
pastorralph
Road Captain

Gosh, I haven't checked this thread is a few days. I didn't realize my comments made so many Canadians angry. I suppose my comment was sparked by the Canadian rant on a previous thread where a guy asked about putting a holster inside a hard saddlebag. In ref to the poster who said laws were to protect the individual, not the State; there's the fundamental difference in thinking. Here, we are the State. We acquiesce to others' rights and beliefs, but we're trying to maintain our freedom to be individuals. In ref to the offence taken poster; you're probably right. Sucking the common sense out of Washington State hasn't made them any smarter. I'm one of those folks that believe common sense isn't all that common anymore. If you don't like Canada being picked on, you should move to Alabama. We're the pariah for everyone!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

We're all brothers in biking and politics should not enter into it. Wearign helmets should be an individual's right as long as it doesn't impact on the welfare of others (ie paying huge health costs). Loud pipes on the other hand should not be something dictated by the government while other machinery and vehicles are left out of the equation. Safe riding to you in Alabama.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 AM
pastorralph
Road Captain

Originally Posted by roadkinglobo
We're all brothers in biking and politics should not enter into it. Wearign helmets should be an individual's right as long as it doesn't impact on the welfare of others (ie paying huge health costs). Loud pipes on the other hand should not be something dictated by the government while other machinery and vehicles are left out of the equation. Safe riding to you in Alabama.
I agree.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain

The Internet is a wonderful place---That said---- researching a subject in "depth" can reveal a lot----the US DOT helmet crack down is NOT state originated it is a FEDERAL MANDATE---the law? was passed this spring--was in the house? last year--slipped under the radar what with all the election fever.

And as a long time rider that has ridden throughout the United States----long before helmets came into being--except old airforce ones----I cannot see the use of a beanie worn on the back of the head, useless in a face plant, just like riding in shorts and flip flops---concrete eats skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to Canada vs the US, helmets like seatbelts have become a way of life up here, all in the name of safety----regardless of any studies------just like the old maxim--speed kills--and we all know that is not true--its the sudden stop that does it in cars and bikes.