Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting my Brembo conversion tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting my Brembo conversion tonight

Got the parts minus the master cylinder for $300 on ebay. 55 mile take off rotors, calipers, pads, chrome bleeders and front brake line. He's got the MC and just has to find it.

Quick question. When referring to WVUltra's write up it mentions 4 new caliper bolts. THe dealer only had 2 in stock. I thought I read somewhere that there were 2 long and 2 short on the stock older caliper setup. Will I be OK or still need to hunt down 2 shorter ones or are they the same thread and can be chopped shorter?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 AM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get two more of the short ones that you currently have. The 08-09 master cyclinder uses a different banjo bolt then yours as well as a different lever and pivot pin so when you get the master and if it does include them you will need to pick them up at a dealer.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:56 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Originally Posted by 03dragonRK
Just get two more of the short ones that you currently have. The 08-09 master cyclinder uses a different banjo bolt then yours as well as a different lever and pivot pin so when you get the master and if it does include them you will need to pick them up at a dealer.
Well...that's the problem. Dealer has to order. Won't have them for a week. Bike gets loaded for Sturgis on Tuesday..so if the thread is the same and they're just a 1/2 " longer, I'll cut them on the cutting wheel if I have to in a pinch.

Not donig the MC yet...will wait till the end of the season for that and pick up a stocker to get chromed to match the rest of my controls..

Old 07-15-2009, 03:29 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo:

The 4 new caliper bolts are a listing of parts needed; and you can use your two old short ones and two new short ones. I'd clean up the old ones, and use blue loctite on all four. Torque to specs.

And if you've only got two short ones, then yes the two longer will need to be cut off and re-threaded to match the short ones. Just be sure your threads, after cutting, are in perfect shape! Don't want to risk damaging one of the holes in the forks!

Good luck!

Last edited by WVULTRA; 07-15-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,849 Posts

If it's pn#44160-00 that you're talking about we have 3 in stock, you should've taken a nice ride up on this lovely and sunny day!!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Thanks guys. I was able to get it all buttoned up. I used the original 2 short bolts plus the 2 shorties I bought and all is good. Now if I can just get these fuggers bled!!

Got the bleeder open now and the brake lever depressed tryin to gravity bleed them.

Will go check on it in a bit. Been like that for 2 hrs now and not a drop out of them.

Gonna borrow a brake vac tomorrow to do it quick and easy. The actual swap, minus the master cylinder took me under an hour for the caliper and rotors.

Had to run a drill bit thru my break banjos, the new bolts would not go through them. Too tight.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Got everything buttoned up last night. It's a bitch bleeding them by yourself but I got it done. Got a great lever feel. No test ride though, it was midnight and a few beers and today it's supposed to thunder. Can't wait to give it a road test.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:06 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

OK, got a problem. Brakes felt great. Took it out for a test ride, low lever...they're leaking! They're leaking at the banjo bolt to caliper. Used new crush rings. I'm thinking cause my were 06 lines the banjo bolt would not fit through. I ran a drill bit them them to take down the ring on the inside and that's where I'm leaking from. Not a lot but can't clamp down on it anymore.

So here's my question. I have the stock 08 line. It's a 1 piece line so I'd have to remove my upper and lower chrome cable temporarily...will the 09 brake line bolt up to an 06 Master Cylinder ok or will it leak there now?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

OK, got it to stop leaking..put a little teflon tape on the fitting to caliper. No leaks. Can't get the lever to get a good feel. One time it's got great action, the next time it goes super low. I just bought a mighty vac. Hoping it sucks, literally

Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

OK, I'm at a loss and need some pointers. I bled the system, no leaks and got good flow coming out with minimal bubbles, a few tiny ones which they say is air from the bleeder.

I can lock up the front tire and it's got great braking, it's just not consistant. Sometimes it will grab soon as you apply brake. Other times you're nearly pulled in all the way to the hand grip. Could this be caused by using an 06 Master?

Others have done the swap with the pre-08 master and been ok. I don't like this bleeder setup. You seem to suck fluid from the MC, right to the bleeder screw. How do you know it flows thru the caliper and there's not a big air pocket in there??

Quick Reply: Starting my Brembo conversion tonight