Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting my Brembo conversion tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow..this is like a conversation with myself. Bueller, Bueller??

I bled them again last night..well, 2am this morning. Again and again. Have a rock hard lever. Then once I took it for a ride, it pulls back even more. I'm guess that's just the way it's going to be. At least now the lever is consistant and not grabbing at different spots. Just feels different and will take a few miles to get used to. They stop great though, just some different lever action.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude- don't ride it with shifty brakes. Something is obviously not 100%

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

They're OK now I think..just don't feel like my 06 ones did. My lever is consistant now just does not grab as high as my old brakes did..not sure if that's normal...

Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The OEM Brembo system is a high system pressure set-up; hence the plastic-like brake lines to prevent brake line expansion and the smaller diameter banjo bolt at the m/c.

To create the equivalent system pressure with the non-Brembo m/c, you probably have to use more lever travel.

Anyway, that's my WAG for what you are experiencing.

Have a good and safe trip.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
Got the parts minus the master cylinder for $300 on ebay. 55 mile take off rotors, calipers, pads, chrome bleeders and front brake line. He's got the MC and just has to find it.

Quick question. When referring to WVUltra's write up it mentions 4 new caliper bolts. THe dealer only had 2 in stock. I thought I read somewhere that there were 2 long and 2 short on the stock older caliper setup. Will I be OK or still need to hunt down 2 shorter ones or are they the same thread and can be chopped shorter?
I did the Brembo conversion on 07 last Winter. I bought a complete system so I avoided some of the problems you've had. I'm really happy with the braking compared to stock. I ride 2up most of the time so it's nice to have better brakes. The lever on mine is "up on top" compared to the old brakes.

I also installed new HD floating rotors and steel brake lines.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:11 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Someone mentioned a possible warped rotor. I doubt that's the case, they're new and I don't feel any pusling but I'm wonder if the wheel isn't 100% centered that when the bike is stationary it's a hard lever..then when the bike moves, the rotors move a bit in or out and then that's when the lever depresses...anyone?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:27 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, if the rotors are warped, they could be pushing the brake pads in the calipers a little, causing a further pull to get them back out again. But I think you would feel pulsation, unless they are floating. It almost sounds like the master might be leaking a little fluid by the seal, or a little bit of air is still trapped.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:50 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

I've bled and bled...I can't imagine air still being in there but I'll bleed again. Had enough of it for today, will jack it up tomorrow and see if the wheel is spinning true..

Old 07-17-2009, 09:07 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbo38sfi
I think that you still have some trapped air. Pull your brake lever back and secure it(I use a tie wrap) and leave it that way over night. This will allow the air bubbles to travel up to the top of the master cylinder and out of the fluid. You can also check if thr rotors are centered with a feeler gage between the rotor and the tangs on the caliber.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Originally Posted by 03dragonRK
turbo38sfi
I think that you still have some trapped air. Pull your brake lever back and secure it(I use a tie wrap) and leave it that way over night. This will allow the air bubbles to travel up to the top of the master cylinder and out of the fluid. You can also check if thr rotors are centered with a feeler gage between the rotor and the tangs on the caliber.
Sounds good. I'll go zip tie it back right now and check it out in the morning.

Quick Reply: Starting my Brembo conversion tonight