Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My skills stink and aren't getting better...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My skills stink and aren't getting better...

OK, so here's the deal. I'm about 50 now and have been riding for the past three years (I don't count the riding I did as a teenager). I started riding again in 2006. I spent about 2 years on a Sporty, then moved to an Ultra last year. I put about 4,000 miles on the Sporty over two years, mostly because I was riding local roads and lost a lot of time due to work I was doing on the bike. I've put about 4,000 miles on the Ultra in the one year that I've had it. So a total of 8,000 miles in 3 years.

So here's the problem...

I feel my riding skills aren't getting any better. I have no problem with slow speed stuff, parking lots, stop signs, handling the bike in close quarters, etc.. My problems are curves at speed -- highway on/off ramps, blind curves on two lane road, even broad sweepers. I've tried to read up on different techniques (Hough's Proficiency book and the RLAP video), it's not much help -- maybe I'm overthinking things. Just looking for any advice from the group on these problems:

1) Highway on/off ramps
I probably slow down WAY too much, but most off and on ramps are totally blind. I'm leaned way over, but not scraping, but usually find myself lugging the engine. I lately started downshifting more before entering the ramp/lean to prevent lugging, but the engine really lurches going into that low a gear when I still have some speed on. Once I see daylight at the end of the ramp, it's game on, but while circling blind on them, I feel like I really suck.

2) Sweepers
I've been commuting in rush hour on the highway, about 40 miles each way in moderately heavy traffic with cars trucks going anywhere from 10 mph UNDER the limit to easily 25 mph OVER the limit. I tend to stay in the middle lane (of three) because the left lane is for crazy cages going 90 and the right lane has all the on/off merge activity. When I'm in either the left or right extreme lanes, I'm always afraid I won't handle the curve and go off the road (even though I've never drifted out of the middle lane and they all have the same curve). I guess I'm not pushing myself, so I'm stagnating. If I was getting more comfortable with the curves, I'd feel like I was slowly getting better, but it's the same every day.

3) Blind curves
So much for the super-slab, but backroads are even worse for me because going slow around curves on a two lane (without a passing lane) adds the extra pressure of having an impatient tailgater breathing down your neck. I know I need to force myself to apex later in a curve -- that means riding further toward the shoulder on a left turn or toward oncoming traffic on a right turn. I guess I envision forgetting to lean and running off the road or into a head-on, so I slow and turn too soon and wind up making choppy adjustments.

Maybe I started riding too late in life or haven't ridden enough to shake out the *******. When I was a teenager, I didn't think about any of this. I'm sure some of you will chime in with either "just ride more" or "quit riding", but I'm curious if anyone else has been through this and can offer some tips.

I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:13 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know if this will help or not, I think your thinking too much about it. Don't look at the road in front of you, look where you want to go. This means, look way beyond the curve or as far as you can. You will be surprised how much easier the curves will be with a little more speed. If it's a 40 mph curve, do 40. After a while you'll be doing them at 60. If you did'nt take a rideing course to get your license, you mite try one of those.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:25 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Find a quality instructor....Maybe a local motor officer who works/runs a rider training course, and get a couple hours of one-on-one training.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:27 AM
lp johnny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easy to over think things...
You control your space in traffic..increase following distance..try to have a nice space cushion all around you.
Leave yourself an out..
Slow down well before the curve..the accelerate through the curve to keep momentum up.
Keep your head up..eyes moving..look far down the road
Trust yourself...and your bike

Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Road Twister
Advanced

A friend of mine & I grew up on bikes 100cc/250cc, etc until after high school. Didnt have much contact with him for about 20 years when he moved away. He then moved closer and we reunited. I stayed with bikes and he didn't. He eventually bought a used suzuki 800cc & was back in it. I noticed right away, his skill level was lacking and he drove slow. He moved up in CC size and the last bike he bought 4 years ago, was a 98 HD convertible (Low rider with bags /s/shield) He still drove like Grandma..so for 2 years he was always last in line..60 mph on 75 mph freeways..etc. we got tired of riding with a road hazzard..semi's slamming on the brakes on the F/way, to avoid rear ending him..we took a good look at his bike and posture..We discovered his handle bars were too far forward and too low. The next day he bought a set of wide glide handle bars and I installed them..told him take it for a ride & I followed him..Holy Moly !!! who the He*l was driving that bike..as he pulled ahead of me and almost disappeared around two curves ahead of me..man it was a day & night difference for him..He got off the bike and smiled to no end!!! He could not believe the difference!!! It appears the old bars was his insecurity !!! To this day he drives with much more confedence, and no longer lags behind...this information is just somthing to look into..Good luck and hope it works out for you!!

Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,938 Likes on 3,552 Posts

Look where you turn..ahead...keep in ming to look at the road too for trash or holes etc.... but look ahead into the turn...sounds like it's crazy but try it..i had been riding for 15 yrs and my wife took the safety class and i read the book...WOW!!! it works...spend the money and take the advance class or hell tack the first class....

Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Need more miles, hit the Dragon, go to the HOG skills team training, get Ride like a Pro Dragon version. Hook up with other riders from the forum in your area and put some miles on, ask about any skills questions you might have.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

I agree with the post above. Look for curves with posted speeds. With your 3 years experience and 8000 miles you should be able to enter the curve at the posted speed and accelerate through the curve after seeing the exit. Look as far ahead as the blind curve will allow you. Try to avoid looking directly in front of the bike.

Only use your brake BEFORE entering the curve. Once you've braked down to the posted speed you'll want to use the throttle to slowly accelerate as you enter the curve and then roll on the throttle as you see through the curve. Try to avoid using the brake while in the curve. Always remember to scrub your speed before enterring not once you're in.

Learn to press down on the inside handle bar grip when inside the curve. Try to ride with a buddy that takes curves well and follow his line until you build up enough confidence to stay at a consistent distance throughout the entire curve.

I took a course many many years ago and these tips have stayed with me. Curves are second nature to me now but I remember what you're going through. You will build confidence but not if you keep taking the curves the exact same way you did the first week you rode the bike. Don't give up. Before you know it you'll be enterring curves above the limit and accelerating at the mid-point without even thinking about it.

I typically ride hard in the curves and if it weren't for curves I'm not sure if I would even have any interest in motorcycling. Good luck and stay with it.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 AM
fevest
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should take the MSF advanced course. Check out the web and find a place that gives it. It will help you out a lot with the problems you mentioned.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I'll bet you are this way with most things in your life. I feel like you do some days but I get over it. I just started riding three years ago and ride every day. I consider myself a pretty good rider but ride on the conservative side. Ride within your ability and ride as often as possible. You will either get over this or will quit riding. I also find that a couple of beers before riding helps greatly but I don't advise it. T.

Quick Reply: My skills stink and aren't getting better...