Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My skills stink and aren't getting better...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 AM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm couple of thoughts from this 52 year old............we are a little ahead of you in that we have been back at for 10 yrs and 50k, but just 18 months on our HD.

Bikes like most things want to go straight, you have to make them turn and it can be a little intimidating. My challenge was right hand turns. I found figure 8s to be great practice. Make them various in size and speed.
Ditto on all the "look where you want to go." If you are taking turn like its configured like a stop sign - point to point to point, or like a dolphin; down up down up and "swim" around a curve - rather than a smooth circle you need to adjust your vision and how you use the throttle.
Ditto - on don't over analyze it.
Don't underestimate the bike (DON"T overestimate either) but they have some pretty good performance capabilities in my book. 2 up fully loaded @ 1000lbs and mountain curves or long sweeps are not an issue with mine.
Where's you head at? Confident?, nervous?, distracted?, unsure? Do you have What if? on your mind - that will kill a nice bike ride - I know.
Ditto on the "fit" of the bike. A lot of guys on here adjust there's - floorboard, forward controls, handlebars etc. could make for more confidence and better handling .
FWIW

Old 07-15-2009, 08:46 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On those blind curves, If I don't know the road, I do the same thing. If I've been on the road, I'm ok, cause I know what to expect. I've had freinds die on blind curves, riding too fast, don't do it. Hell with that car behind you. Enjoy yourself. What's the rush anyway. As far as the highway and ramps, I know guys who won't even ride the highway, so at least you got the stones to do it. Don't worry, stay within your ability and enjoy your bike.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Take the basic and advanced rider courses, practice a LOT and stop worrying

Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Tat2dGooch
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great post and thanks for doing it .. because i do the same thing on the off ramps

Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure alot of this has already been covered, but here is my 2 cents.

First and foremost, you go where you look. NEVER want to be looking down at the road in front of you. Look ahead of you where you will be.

Blind curves and sweepers, all you need to remember is press, and keep pressing. By this i mean if you are making a right hand turn, you will be pressing forward on the right side handlebar. Known as countersteering this causes the bike to lean into the turn. Varied pressure of that "press" varies your lean angle. Let the phyics work for you. All of this culminates in your ability to trust what the bike will do when you utilize these procedures. You were probably able to "cheat" a bit on the Sporty, given the lessened weight and not have to worry as much. With the ultra, the effects of countersteering are very pronounced, and you will soon find yourself being able to concentrate on the entire turn (i.e. slowing to proper speed before you reach the turn, rolling on the throttle at the apex of the turn, and exiting the turn) instead of just the fear you will drive into the oncoming lane or off the road all together.

Slowing before Blind Curves is sometimes prudent. I find myself slowing before these more than others, especially when travelling uphill into a curve where i can't really tell the direction of the curve. Its sometimes intimidating when you are basically looking at the sky when coming to the crest of a hill. I'm not really as worried about the turn, but the road condition. Is there gravel in the road, a tree, another car, i don't know, so i use added caution and slow down a bit more in these cases.

As has been mentioned, don't over think it, the anxiety isn't going to speed your progress. Making your leisure riding purposeful, and actively concentrate and practice the facets of riding that you are uncomfortable with.

Last edited by HDRider2002; 07-15-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:28 AM
axe11
Cruiser

This is a good post question PwnedNoob and you see this board's member's know how to offer good, useful help. Like Jerry Pallidino of Ride Like A Pro has stated, there are many riders out there that, even though they may have been riding for years, have only little and sometimes detrimental riding skills. In other words, they learned wrong. Get Ride Like A Pro and "learn right." All points covered in this thread for answers to you are covered in much detail in the course. Do yourself and loved ones a huge favor and get Jerry Pallidino's DVD.

Ride safe brother,

axe11

Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All great answers & very helpful info given in this post! Nice to see that there were no negatives thrown at this poster as happens to so many who ask innocently for help & get discouraging replies. I am glad i joined this forum - to all - keep up the great & helpful attitudes! Ride safe

Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKAHD
A key factor in learning is success. A phrase to remember is safe - fun - learn. I would suggest using a familiar road that has some moderate curves and speed changes. Ride this road alone so that you set the pace and do not need to worry about other riders. Repeat the section several times in each direct over a period of several weeks. Your skills and confidence will increase.

An earlier post suggested the Dragon. I could not disagree more. You need to gradually increase technical demands and put in the mileage at each level of difficulty until you feel comfortable.

Keep riding. The cure is mileage!
I agree. Why are you riding in traffic when you don't have the confidence yet w your Ultra which is a big bike compared to the Sporty. You need to take the beginner coarse and then go in the country to put some miles on. I don't think everyone is born to be a biker so you need to decide if you like it enough to put some miles on, 3-4k a year isn't really enough to improve you skills especially if it's commuting in rush hour. If you love the bike and the freedom, then get the training and experience. Good luck and have some great rides.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

The folks that started riding when they were young have an advantage,the older you get the more crap you worry about.My advise to you is to give yourself and your day to God and go fourth,put it in his hands.Don't worry that you will high side on every turn or there is a on comming car in your lane around every blind turn,you can't live your life scarred.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch these Goldwing riders. These guys can ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Quick Reply: My skills stink and aren't getting better...