Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy trying to learn about road king

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my RK! I have beach bars and Mustang seats. Much more comfortable.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to Harley myself. Picked up my 08 king standard a month ago. I love this bike! My previous rides were a Honda 750C and a Kaw KZ1000. The King is heavy by comparison and I realize this the most when coming to a stop. Other than that it is a well balanced bike. I am just now getting comfortable putting a good 'lean' into her- worried about hitting those floor boards. Riding in the city in slow traffic can be dicey at first especially if your 2 up- especially on the stops. I have not experienced wet riding on the RK yet- been lucky on the days I have picked for riding!Read your manual! Something most may not be aware- do not use your typical gas station air hose to fill your shocks! The higher compression can blow the resevoir- I ended up buying the HD pump kit- similar to a bike pump. I did my homework before buying this bike. For one, it is very versatile for detachable luggage, tour pack, windshields, etc. The other is that it seemed to better fit my 6' 4" 230lb frame. It also, for me, is a perfect example of what a Harley should be. If you get a chance, take advantage of test rides at local HD dealers. Harley actually came in with a semi trailer with around 10 different models and allowed free test rides on a predetermined , 10 mile route. This was an awesome way to get a feel for the model that fits you best. Congrats and ride safe!

Last edited by Devo6684; 07-15-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 PM
azfyrmedic
3rd Gear

Wow Guys this is great! I went to work yesterday (24 Hrs shift),
Get home today and find four pages of responses.
I just gotta tell you, I am a member of three other boards ( mostly firearm boards) and I have never had such a great response.
Thanks to all of you this must be a great forum and I already appreceate you guys for it.

That being said, I am even more excited to get a hold of this bike now.
It seems like this bike is going to be just what I need it to be.
I put about 24,000 miles a year on my old bike just going to work, yea I live out in the sticks.

You guys have all given such great advice and I feel much more comfortable with the thought of moving up to a bigger bike, my enduro was just about 380 pounds loaded.
Even though I took a riding course about six years ago I might take another riding course for a refresher just to be that much more confident.
The highway pegs sound like something I should look into also.

Thanks again for making me feel welcome and all of your help.
Ned

Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM
jagator
Road Master

I love my RKC. May want to take a look at an 09. Major upgrades from the 08. It is just a great bike. You will love it. Good luck and post pics when you get the new ride.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:42 AM
azfyrmedic
3rd Gear

Well, today was the day. I took the bike down to MVD registered it and rode it for the first time.
I put right about 235 miles on it today, it is sure different from my old bike but what a nice ride, I think this bike will be racking up some serious mileage quickly!
Thanks again for all of the input you guys have given.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:46 AM
jd533
Road Captain

Congrats on your first ride with the king. You will not be dissapointed. If you can stop riding long enough, like when you go out in the morning to make sure it really is there, you need to take a pic and get it posted. Again, congrats and enjoy.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:12 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Talking Hi...welcome to the HD family!

Just peruse this site often to learn about options...do's and don'ts, and other chatter about our bikes. The mufflers and A/C will be the first to go...and replaced with a Fuelmoto power package. (SE A/C, Dyno mufflers, PCV)
As you see from my signature, I don't even have a RK yet...but I have learned more from this site in 2 weeks, than 5 years owning my Fatboy....when I lived in Maine. I only rode 3-4 months out of the year...
Now I reside in Panama City, FL and ride year round.

Best of luck with your New RK!

Last edited by dohadex; 09-16-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome. There is nothing like the King. I went from a Street Glide ('07) and ended-up with a Road King ('09). Can't beat the versatility...plus it seems like every T,D, & H is riding a Street Glide anymore (not that the RK is rare, by any means!)...just my opinion.

Have fun!!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

............ whatever you do, do NOT get a copy of the HD Parts & Accessories catalog. It will cause you to lose valuable hours of late evening sleep & may contribute to selective blindness after looking @ all the shiney stuff. ;-)
........ enjoy your new ride.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
threeten
Tourer

Originally Posted by azfyrmedic
I put right about 235 miles on it today, it is sure different from my old bike but what a nice ride, I think this bike will be racking up some serious mileage quickly.
I would suggest you schedule your 1000 mile service right away. I put 1000 miles on my RK in three weeks and now I'm trying to cut back until I can get the servicing done - my mechanic is backlogged.

My only regret about buying the RK is that I didn't do it ten years ago. Have fun.

Quick Reply: new guy trying to learn about road king