Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy trying to learn about road king

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Youre gonna love it! IMO its the best bike on the market. As for modifications, I would consider handlebars and if you ride two up a lot the person on back might really appreciate a new sundowner seat.

Last edited by 1931jamesw; 07-15-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my Road King in November but was only able to ride it since April. Here is what I have learned so far.

It is a big bike. It is awesome on the highway and on relatively straight lines. Because of its size, however, it is a bit more to handle in the city. Your riding skills need to be at least competent to be solid in the city.

It is a comfortable bike. There are plenty of options to move the rider and passenger around to suit their body types. The first thing that struck me was its phenomenal suspension. Eating highway miles comfortably and smoothing road texture is what this bike does best.

I ride in all weather conditions except for snow and ice. Winter in Saskatchewan is bad news. The Road King handles them well.

Tire performance varies by manufacturer. It has little to do with the bike being a Road King.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by azfyrmedic
Hello and thanks in advance to anyone who give advice.
Like the title says I am new here, I am about to be new to HD's.
in about a month and a half I will take delivery of a 2008 road king classic 105 ann. edition.
That being said I don't know crap about harleys.
I have only owned one bike and it was an enduro. Put an unbeleavable amount of miles on it.
So, Please can you guys give me some idea of what to expect?
A few questions I have are:
Does this bike handle well, how about in bad weather ( I tend to ride here in arizona rain or shine, even some snow)

The Touring bikes handle like a dream. It'll seem a bit big n heavy at first if you're coming off an enduro, but you'll quickly see they're very maneuverable and easy to ride. In wet weather slow it down a bit is all. Watch your tire pressure religiously and don't milk the tread life too far during monsoon season.

Whats the difference between a road king classic and one that isn't a classic?

Very little difference - the classic has leather saddle bags and the standard RK has hard bags. The Classic has some different trim parts on it and cruise control, otherwise they're the same bike.

How many miles will it go before I need to change a tire or drive belt?

The drive belt is easily a 100,000+ mile item. As far as tires? The front should give you around 25,000 and the rear tire anywhere from 10k to 15k is what most guys get.

What add ons would you guys suggest?

You can personalize it any way you like as far as looks, comfort, performance, etc. That's the most awesome thing about Harleys is there's LIMITLESS things you can do with them as far as accessories, etc.

If it were me I'd have highway pegs put on right away, the 4-point detachable kit so you can add a trunk, rear sissy bar, luggage racks, etc at a later time.

Hey thanks again and sorry to be such a newbe.
Ned
And welcome to the Forum! You'll learn a helluva lot about your bike and have a great time here.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

It's hard to add to all of what's been said above. One additional advantage, you won't need to trade up every couple of years for some additional gewgaw HD has added, and will save a lot of money for your own mods and personalization. One word of caution: TEST DRIVE THIS BIKE FIRST. I was in love with an FXDWG for all the years it took saving the $$$ to pay cash, yet when it was time to buy I soon discovered it was not the right bike for me after all. Imagine my chagrin when I whipped out the big mfr booklet later, showed the color picture to my better half, just to hear her say,
"Oh no! You bought the OLD GUYS bike!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:19 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Depending on what you're used to riding it may seem different. For example, I used to ride dirt bikes and sport bikes, so the Road King Classic w/ it's floor boards and all felt a little funny to me at first in the turns. I felt like I was gonna hit somthing if I leaned to far, just because it felt different and I saw all this stuff down to my sides like a crash bar, foot boards, etc., and I wasn't used to putting my feet out in front of me on a bike, they were usually tucked beneath or behind my core on the other bikes. So that was just something unique to my situation.

Then I learned that you can really lean these bikes and they really handle well. You won't be draggin' knees around corners like a sport bike, but they really lean well.

If you feel like you want some reassurance, try the http://ridelikeapro.com/ video series, and you'll be safely scraping boards in no time...

Here are some dragon shots w/ a little lean goin on...

Like others have said, I enjoy the Sundowner seat while touring, or even around town, rarely take it off, it's in my sig pic, a little beefier than stock, but still nice profile.

I run the windshield on trips and in cold or wet weather, I like taking the windshileld off around town or day rides a lot.

I run w/ just seat and bags mostly, but the sig pic and dragon shots show it w/ the tourpack on it that I used for trips.

You can often find items for sale on ebay, craigslist, or once you get around some other harley people, or even on this forum. So you might pick up some of the luggage racks, tourpacks, or other style seats/bags cheaper that way...

Have fun!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:22 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, congratulations on your new ride! But over a month until you get delivery? Ouch! I'm not a patient guy... a wait like that would be torture! Anyway, I'm sure you'll love your RKC. Enjoy!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
KSGG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome & congrats!

Pull up the bike info on the factory site if they still have the '08s listed. You can pull up both versions side by side and see and read the differences.

Swing by some local "bike nights" or dealer events and check out the other bikes. Talk to the other Road King owners. Probably run across an anniversary King at one of these places.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

You picked the quintessential Harley Davidson for your first bike. Congratulations on an excellent choice!

You've ridden plenty of other bikes to not be surprised in the overall characteristics of your new bike. Spend some time just getting to know it and it'll all come in time. That being said, it still sounds like you need to spend a little time on the HD website and view all of their bikes.

Because this forurm has a large membership, you're going to meet quite a number of people with varying degrees of patience for newbies. Those who are short with you, tell them to kiss your ***. Those who answer politely, let them know you appreciate their help.

Ride safe, my friend.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 PM
chucks9999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to HD! You will love the "King" for reasons stated above. It is a very versatile bike, from day rides to long distance outings. Take the wind screen off for around town and day rides, load the bike up for long rides. I just (in April, f...... cold) went up to Monterey (a 1000 mile ride) with my gf, she is about 150 (5'11") I am about 200 and lugage was probably about 50 pounds or so. Increased the air pressure in the tires and the shocks and off we went. I cruised at 80 -85 where safe with all this. This is the sweet spot speed for my king. Enjoy!!!

Attached Thumbnails new guy trying to learn about road king-santabarbara-raggededge_0095.jpg  

Last edited by chucks9999; 07-16-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like a few others have already said, welcome, congratulations and you have bought the best Harley made.

Quick Reply: new guy trying to learn about road king