Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy trying to learn about road king

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
bob46371
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2009 FLHRC Vivid Black

I chose the Road King Classic, at 58 I just ain't old enough for an Ultra.....The quick release windshield and optional removable sissy bar give it a stripped down sporty look or put them on for a road worthy touring bike. This is my first Harley also .. It was a bit intimidating at first but after 8k miles, I can handle it as well as I did my Honda Shadow and that weighed 300 lbs less..I have not changed tires yet I think they should go another 5k and from what I have read the belt will go 75k miles. I love my Road King.. it will run all day @80 mph on the superslab or cruise to the local bar for bike night. Relax and enjoy the best Harley ever made

Last edited by bob46371; 07-15-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:24 AM
ivel_86
Tourer

I think the best think to do is spend time going to a bunch of dealers talking and BSing with them.. Talk to guys in there that come in with bikes. Check on diffrent models. Dont get your mind set on just one bike. Also pick up an aftermarket parts book. Also when and if you buy the bike read the owners manual.. and It would be best to get a service manual as well.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome, you should love the RK!

Tires - about 8k-12k for the back tire depending on the tire, area roads and driving style. Front tires twice that long.

Belts - Forever? rarely even discussed on the forum. 42k on mine and it looks new.

RK TYPES

RK Classic - as noted earlier its a more retro looking bike with leather covered bags, wide whitewalls and spoked (laced) wheels plus cruise control.

RK Standard - Hard bags, mag wheels and no cruise (my choice because the hard bags are more weather tight, lockable, and easier to maintain, plus I like the looks of them personally)

RK Custom - Stripped down model with a "clean" look with leather bags, no windsheild and no driving lights

RK's are the best of both worlds because of their flexability. Stripped down they are a cool looking Blvd cruiser. By adding detachabe items it can be a full on touring dresser. Or anything in between. Pretty tough to do that with an Ultra. And being 48 myself I just can't go the Ultra route either. One of the nicest features I like is my detachable fairing. I has a radio if I want it and is great for the long distance rides. Yet it still comes off in under 30 seconds!

You will love it!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 AM
axe11
Cruiser

First of all, welcome to this board. Secondly, I and about everybody else here recommend you should get Ride Like A Pro by Jerry Pallidino. Thirdly, the Road King is about the best bike on the Planet; it is extremely manueverable and easy to ride once you first learn how to actually ride any motor cycle through such a course as Ride Like A Pro or Rider's Edge, etc. Learn to ride right and ride safe; then you will learn, as well, what an extraordinary motorcycle the Road King truly is.

axe11

Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

you can make the "King" into just about anything. Long haul tourer (just add some soft lowers for more protection and a detachable trunk or luggage) to a cruiser (change seat, remove shield) etc.etc. Check out pics of different RKs to get inspiration.

Plan on buying stuff for it to make it your own and ride the hell out of it.

Last edited by carpetride; 07-15-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM
KBrown53
Road Captain

I am excited for you!!!

Enjoy your bike and ride safe.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These folks are right on with their advice. Never drove a bike this big before. After I bought mine (1st HD) in April, I put on new handlebars and floorboard extensions for a better fit. I like the seat on mine but others seem to not like the stock seat. Maybe earlier years were worse. I am only 160lbs and 6 foot tall. With that said, I can handle this bike suprisingly well. I am actually amazed how the weight seems to go away when as soon you let go of the clutch. Except for the time when I was SLOWLY backing up at a gas station. The bike decided to SLOWLY lay down on the engine guard......that embarassed the crap out of me I was so mad at myself. I have a RK Standard because I like the looks of the painted bags (guess I'm wierd). Whitewalls look awesome but I would drive myself nuts keeping them clean. I ride way to many country roads The cruise control is super and the security feature is handy as well.

The other good advice was everyone who said "Ride the hell out of it". These bikes can MOVE!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
hdbikerperson
Advanced

i went to a flhr from a flhtc for better handleing (the wind dosn't try to steer you like with a bat wing) as far as the seat i picked up a gel seat top from canadian tire for 10.00 cheeper than a seat and removable. the bars i would leave until you see if you like them or not i changed mine before delivery and wish i hadn't. a bike is an individual thing listen learn and then ride it and make your own mind up. ride safe

Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, I'm in AZ as well, and you should consider does the stock windshield do it for me? will I ever want to hear a tune on the road? ever is a long time. I know you can add a fairing some guys will say, I bought mine 6 years ago and I wish I had asked myself those questions. Most guys do a lot of modifications to there bikes and I would be guilty of that.
Enjoy what you get, and let me know if your ever in Cave Creek.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:43 AM
cogener8
Road Captain

Love mine and so does the wife. Heritage bars. Mustang solo seat and large pillon. Detachable backrest.Highway pegs are a must for longer trips. You can buy sissy bar mount luggage,use an IPOD or mp3 player for tunes. I know some here will slam this but I love my combo speedo/Tach. The bike doed sit higher and its mostly noticable at stops but rides like a dream on the road. If HD makes a better handling bike for the hwy I'd be supprised. Not saying they dont as I havent ridden any others but this uns real sweet. My dealer recommended I get a new tire at 2/32nds treadwear on the rear. I had 3/32nds at 9k and just got back from a 1900 mile trip. Ordered a new rear from motorcycle superstore for 142.99 and free shipping. Will probably milk the old one for the rest of this season.

Quick Reply: new guy trying to learn about road king