Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG Membership?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM
d2jlking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HOG Membership?

Hey guys! Does anyone here belong to the H.O.G.? If so, what is your opinion? Worthwhile, waste of time, what?

S

Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I do. Worth it? Wow, a tough one because that would really depend on your chapter, its members and so on. Frankly, it may even depend on your locale as it pertains to riding opportunities. I'm in south FL and our roads, quite frankly, suck. I've seen photos of other clubs that live near great riding areas and that would have me out even more, work permitting of course. It's not a hard core club like a local club might be. Where a local club would likely only initially let you in as a "Prospect", with H.O.G., just show up for the most part and you're in. Our club is pretty large, but we don't see everyone regularly. The regular crowd is fairly modest. You could always go as a guest to see if you like the group. Something to think about.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

depends on what u want to get out of it.if you moved to a new area and want to meet people to get out and ride with it can be pretty good.although local chapters can be very different go out find out when and were they meat show up and check it out (they wont kill u for not being a member).there may be 2 or 3 chapters in your area give em all a look.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a member of the Nat'l HOG, but not my local chapter. I've just done it for years, and they offer a few things that I appreciate. I like the open houses they have at all the rallies, and especially like the maps, which are updated. The towing is really not that good, but I have that on my insurance.... It's a flip of the coin whether it's really worth it, but I've been in so long now I kind of like getting the little patch, though I don't know why. They're just stacked up somewhere in plastic bag.. Man, maybe I ought to dump that group, and buy some more chrome.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a lifetime HOG member, and active in my local chapter. I participate in alot of the chapter activities, but few national events. For me its worth it, but your mileage may vary.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
HarleyguyCA
Stage I

Joined the National HOG in '04 when I bought a Sportster. Bought an '07 Road Glide and enjoy touring more. I have joined two local chapters--cheap, about $20-25 a year. They both have different agendas so we "cherry pick" our riding and activities, i.e., poker runs, brunch and dinner rides, etc. Each is about 6 miles in opposite directions from my home. One offers a 10% discount on all dealer items which I take advantage of if I'm needing something and cannot wait for internet buying. We've attended a couple of state rallies which were very enjoyable and planning a third this October. Both chapters have excellent holiday parties so that's all good. Guess if you enjoy people, riding and functions probably worth the money. Incidentally, both of these groups have quarterly weekend outings--many out of state, so nice to travel and socialize for the weekend.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

I joined the National HOG when I purchased my Ultra. The local chapter is sponsored by the dealer I purchased my scoot from and any National HOG member can join the local chapter for free (no dues). It is a very active group with many events throughout the year. We have over 200 members and average ~100 members at monthly meetings. IMO it is all about the local chapter; if it is active you will enjoy membership.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Reminds me of a big Cub Scout meeting. At HOG events I find there to be too much standing around and talking vs. actual riding. Sorry in advance if I've offended anyone. Guess it's just not my thing.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM
rdmike
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I belong to the Hog Chapter in Thailand. It has been great. I came into this seen not knowing the country, the roads, etc. and now have many close friends. I suggest try it, you can always not attend if not your liking..

Old 07-15-2009, 12:50 AM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes Worthless, Waste of Time.

Quick Reply: HOG Membership?