Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter arm vib'ed off shaft @ lunch !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009 | 01:55 PM
SOLOLUCKY
|
Cruiser
Default Shifter arm vib'ed off shaft @ lunch !!

Well I rode out to lunch today and the darn Shifter arm bolt must have vibrated loose from clamping on the shifter shaft (from the foot shifter).
I pull into the MC parking area, go to down shift and "NO SHIFTERACTION !!"" oh crap!! looked down and had "floppy shifter syndrome and the linkage and arm were resting peacefully on the motor !!

gonna hunt up some rubber bands and bungee the arm to the foot shifter to hold them together/keep arm from rattling off in the direction away from the foot shifter. Oughta get me home then really crank down on the clamping bolt on the shifter arm.

But what a shock !!

Old 07-14-2009 | 02:06 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

this happen to a buddy while in North Carolina on a road trip coming back to florida. This has happened to many people...I have been lucky so far with all of mine.

Old 07-14-2009 | 02:28 PM
SOLOLUCKY
|
Cruiser

Well , about 6 rubber bands from the shifter to the shifter arm and its secure to get me home. Just a bitch to stop at an intersection and not be able to hit first!! And an E-Glide is a big bike to try and push out of the way!! lol

At least I am not alone with this issue.
It'll get me home anyway.

I guess I learned another item to stach in the bags for emergencies.

I blame this all on the beginning stages of a Sturgis trip next year. The bike got wind of it and is telling me all what it needs for emergencies.

Old 07-14-2009 | 02:39 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

When you're not riding and have some down time it's always good to break out the ol' wrenches and go around the bike and snug things up.

Old 07-14-2009 | 03:04 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Get rid of the stock rod ends and put heim joints on the ends.

Old 07-14-2009 | 03:09 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

How was lunch ?

Old 07-14-2009 | 03:22 PM
SOLOLUCKY
|
Cruiser

LOL .Lunch was good. Thanks .
So far the heim joints are ok. Its the splined shaft thru the motor housing that has the arm rattling off. (foot shifter on one end, arm to shifter rod on the other)
i shoulda taken a pic of it when i went out at smoke break and "fixed" it. I will when I get it home to show how a quick fix on the road could work if it happens to anyone else.

Old 07-14-2009 | 03:25 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
LOL .Lunch was good. Thanks .
So far the heim joints are ok. Its the splined shaft thru the motor housing that has the arm rattling off. (foot shifter on one end, arm to shifter rod on the other)
i shoulda taken a pic of it when i went out at smoke break and "fixed" it. I will when I get it home to show how a quick fix on the road could work if it happens to anyone else.

Ahhh a smoke break .. Over 3 years ago i quit after a massive heart attack .. lemme guess you had the cholesterol burger and the heart attack fries ... Then you prolly followed it up with 3 smokes on the way back to work ... Dont worry I know and ive been there ..

Old 07-14-2009 | 04:41 PM
Cowracer
Tourer

My heel shifter fell off, causing me to drop the bike and fall off it on a crowded street while attemping a u-turn to go back and retreive it.

Let me describe the scene: A black street glide, on its side, facing northbound on a westbound street, with an extremly large man lying on the ground next to it, holding on to the clutch lever (for some reason, my overriding instinct on the way to the ground was that I HAD to keep the clutch in), and doing a credible impersonation of a swastika lying there while bemused cagers just sat a gawked.

Luckily for me, the highway peg took the brunt of it, and when all was said and done, the bike was resting comfortable on the highway peg and the riders floorboard mount. Other than some minor scratches on the floorboard mount and a scuff on the saddlebag where I kicked it on the way off, the bike was completly unharmed.

Moral of the story... Dont let a small problem get you worked up into having a big problem.

Additional moral... GET HELP in returning your FLH to its wheels. I just about lost both nuts getting that beast up by myself. Injured pride fades, but a hernia is forever.

Tim

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:31 PM
randyb3
Stage II
Default Screwed

Happened to me so I put a set screw in from underneath. Can't see it and the problem is cured. Harley sold my buddy a new lever and shaft.

Quick Reply: Shifter arm vib'ed off shaft @ lunch !!