Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half helmets and wind

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default half helmets and wind

Looking for a little guidance here. Would like to do this once if you know what i mean. I love my half helmet BUT, my daily ride includes 35 miles of interstate driving (each way) at the usual highway speeds. I get to work and I've got the ringing in my ears. I'm thinking about going to a helmet with ear more coverage. My question is will it help and what do you have that you like and is comfortable?
Thanks frank

Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Many riders I know use ear plugs with no helmet, 1/2 helmet and 3/4's. Full face with shield down gives you the most protection without ear plugs.

Check out any Walmart or similar and give some plugs a try. They are very cheap. You can actually hear more than you think you would with plugs in your ears.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 AM
JGoodson
Novice

I do the same with only about 15 miles each way on the highway and i have the same problem with my half shell. No problems at all with the full face besides its hott

Old 07-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Bikerdad61
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife wears 1/2 helmet and ear plugs all the time. They take away the wind noise. Wish I had started wearing them years ago. My hearing is shot!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frank,

Ringing in the ear is not good. Use ear plugs while riding while you sort your problem out.

I wear a full helmet and still wear ear plugs 100% of the time. I started using the plugs when riding on concrete 4 lane highways with a lot of traffic. The tire whine was getting to me.

I use the foam disposable type ear plug.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

If you do decide to get a 3/4 or Full-Face/Modular Full-Face...I would recommend doing the following:

Go to a few places and try on helmets from various MFR's. KEEP each helmet on for at least 20 minutes to ensure that the helmet fits comfortably without any discomfort!

If you're like me, your head will be the opposite of everyone else in the world and the only helmets that fit are the most expensive ones :@ (ugh). That said, I do love the way my SHOEI helmets fit (RJ Platinum-R 3/4 helmet for 'most' of my riding and a Multi-TEC Modular Full-Face for bad weather riding).

Old 07-14-2009, 09:05 AM
catracho
Road Captain

For short rides the earplugs are a good idea.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Ear Plugs works great, you will even hear your radio. Buy some cheapies and try them out.

FYI: I tried those foam ones you roll bewteen you fingers then stick in your ear, but one of them fell out so I use the rubbery kind that has little rings.

I had some custom ones made at a rally once. They aren't anymore comfortable than the cheapies are.

At Lowes they are in the key/paint/lock area.
Walmart had a (custom fit) kit you can do yourself. It's in the gun section.

Thanks for reminding me (I need to get some more) I loaned mine out to a Buddy Saturday who was riding with no windshield and no helmet.

When I don't wear ear plugs, I find myself talking louder when I get back home after an all day ride. I try but I need to wear them all the time even with a 3/4 helmet.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 07-14-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to wear ear plugs. I wear them on every ride except for a quick spin. I commute 65 miles each way and 90% of that is on the interstate.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:32 AM
ivel_86
Tourer

I ride with a p-nut helmet. I wear ear plug if I am going to work (40miles) or if I am going to the store... two blocks. They are a most. My father lost his hearing for about a week and a half when we rode to Sturgis without them. Very scary. You can go into almost any hardware store and get a bag with 50 sets of foam ear plugs for cheap. Best choice for me being the fact that I lose one alot... Not out of my ear but drop it or falls out of pocket ya know the deal.

Quick Reply: half helmets and wind