Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 TBW grip change

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009 | 07:55 AM
pittz5
|
Road Warrior
Default 09 TBW grip change

So I changed my grips and the throttle grip seems very sloppy? Tried moving the control housing to tighten it up but still sloppy(advice from previous thread). I put stock grips back on and its back to being tight? Any advice, does anyone else have this issue? Would like to change to the Isogrips but not if its sloppy like that.

Old 07-13-2009 | 08:17 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Did you get grips intended for TBW? They have an insert in the end that mates with the gear on the end of the TBW module.

Old 07-13-2009 | 08:31 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jinks
Did you get grips intended for TBW? They have an insert in the end that mates with the gear on the end of the TBW module.

i agree. I put Kury ISO that were made for the 09 on my daughters 09 RK. Piece of cake to install and they work like a dream, with no slack.

Old 07-13-2009 | 09:34 AM
pittz5
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jinks

Sure did, they work just fine but the grip itself is very sloppy. Moves side 2 side and just feels loose?

Old 07-13-2009 | 09:40 AM
nemick
Road Warrior

I'm betting you installed Performance Machine grips. They look great, work well, but are extremely sloppy at the switch housing. I got used to mine, but I ended up using some grease to remove a little slop and also reduce the damned rattle.

Old 07-13-2009 | 10:12 AM
pittz5
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nemick
I'm betting you installed Performance Machine grips. They look great, work well, but are extremely sloppy at the switch housing. I got used to mine, but I ended up using some grease to remove a little slop and also reduce the damned rattle.

I actually went with the Harley Contoured grip. Its very annoying to have that much play side to side on the throttle.

Old 07-16-2009 | 09:56 AM
05Fatty
Road Master

Just noticed this thread. I have ISOs on both 09s and they are sloppy like you stated. I've adjusted the housings and no change. I think the sleeves on the grips are too big and could be smaller. Maybe there is something that can be wrapped or slid over the bar to fill in some of the gap?

Old 07-16-2009 | 10:59 PM
pittz5
|
Road Warrior

Ya, I dont know.I was kinda hoping the isogrips would be different. Kinda hard to pull the trigger on another set of $70 grips and end up with the same problem. The stock grips are back on which sucks but its better than having that slop on the throttle. Im pretty sure its operator error on the install???? not sure how I could screw up a very simple task like putting grips on but who knows...LOL

Old 07-17-2009 | 02:44 AM
loseranacummins
Cruiser

I'm with you guys...just the opposite problem for me on my 08 RKC. The throttle side is too tight...but only the last inch of grip. It slides on nice till the end, then it's sticky. To the point that the throttle won't release!

Just haven't gotten around to attempt to sand out the inside (as lubing hasn't worked enough yet)...riding with the stockers for now.

Old 07-17-2009 | 02:53 AM
loseranacummins
Cruiser

Sweet, that was my 69th post! haha

Quick Reply: 09 TBW grip change