Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Stopped Working, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cruise Control Stopped Working, Need Advice

03 ultra - 22k miles. i did service this past winter at the dealer. one of the things the dealer was going to do was take up the 1" slack in my throttle cable. they didnt at that time and sited i needed to order a lower control housing to do it right.

i got the part and brought the bike in for a drive in for them to put on the lower housing and tighten up the slack. 3 hours later at the dealer and the lead mechanic came out and asked me if the cruise control ever worked. i said yes - which it did. he double checked all the electrical connections, but just could not get the cruise to work. the other functions on the controls work fine.

i could not stay and have them continue to trouble shoot the problem and i would rather not bring it back in if you can help me figure this out. its too much of a hassle.

my first thought is to try to do the procedure to reset it in the back of the SM, but am hoping that some of you may have a few other things to look at. have a long trip planned in a couple of weeks and was really looking forward to using the cruise.

thank you - tin

Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 AM
kman780
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can start with the simple stuff and then move on...

Fuse, shorts, voltage.... I doubt that is it but you might get lucky.

If that didn't work then I would try a reset. Seems a little strange that it juts stopped working like that at the dealer. So I hope its something easy.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I would start with a service manual.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

pull the A/C and make sure the cruise cable is connected to the throttle body. It looks like a throtle cable. If that doesnt work there is a diagnostic procedure in the manual. It will test each item that effects the cruise. Sorry but I cant remember right now how to do that. Good luck

Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Could it be a bad cruise control servo on the cable? Would be a PITA, but do you still have the previous throttle cable? Or just try another throttle cable (after checking the fuses).

Old 07-13-2009, 07:51 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner
Could it be a bad cruise control servo on the cable? Would be a PITA, but do you still have the previous throttle cable? Or just try another throttle cable (after checking the fuses).
they never replaced the throttle cable, just the housing and took up slack. will definitly check fuses. the light does work on the switch itself. thank you!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pittz5
pull the A/C and make sure the cruise cable is connected to the throttle body. It looks like a throtle cable. If that doesnt work there is a diagnostic procedure in the manual. It will test each item that effects the cruise. Sorry but I cant remember right now how to do that. Good luck
thanks i'll check that and i have the service manual for the procedure. i've done that before.

tin

Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 AM
jchill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, this might sound dumb but.. You said that all the controls worked BUT didn't say if they checked the brake light. Just speaking from experience (screw up on my part) the small button on the switch for the brake light which of course disengages the cruise breaks very easy. When I put new bars on I didn't keep the hand brake open when the housing was put back together. The brake light stayed on and of course the cruise didn't work. Something easy to check and/or eliminate as you diagnose.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jchill
Ok, this might sound dumb but.. You said that all the controls worked BUT didn't say if they checked the brake light. Just speaking from experience (screw up on my part) the small button on the switch for the brake light which of course disengages the cruise breaks very easy. When I put new bars on I didn't keep the hand brake open when the housing was put back together. The brake light stayed on and of course the cruise didn't work. Something easy to check and/or eliminate as you diagnose.
thx jc - will definitly check that one. i rode all day yesterday and nobody commented, but you never know.

thank you

Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

any left coast advice?

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Stopped Working, Need Advice