Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start terminal leave this week..Kinda nervous

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be sure to go to your local VA and get signed up. My father retired from the AF and then again from the Post Office. Good Luck
I am going to retire from the State of Oklahoma next year but I am ready to go, after 30 years in a Power Plant I think that is long enough...............

Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM
1953riderforlife
Tourer

Try the Federal Government route. Great benefits for vets and about the only show in town right now. And, thanks for your service. Hope all goes well. By the way, wife and I rented a bike two years ago in Austin and road the "hill country". Stopped for a fun afternoon in Luckenbach. Still have the tee shirt, "Everybody's somebody in Luckenbach"!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Terminal leave

I go on terminal leave in two weeks after 26 years in the Army. same feelings as you, lol

Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mphamrick
I am going to retire from the State of Oklahoma next year but I am ready to go, after 30 years in a Power Plant I think that is long enough...............
30 years? Is that all?

I been paying Social Security for 41 years-started when I was 14.

Go ahead and retire if you want, but make sure to wave that SS check at me each month cause I'll still be working to pay it.

Seriously, if the money wasn't so good and the bennies so fine, I'd retire myself.....I'm at a power plant too and all I do for 8 hours is watch TV and surf the net....it's a racket!....I expect any day the cops will show up to arrest me for stealing my paycheck

The day I retired from the Navy.....I simply walked off the ship.....No formal retirement....I refused it....I pissed off the Skipper cause he wanted an excuse to force my shipmates into formation wearing their dress whites and medals to listen to me say what?...

Nope, I walked off the ship, got on my scooter and rode off like it was just another day at work and resisted that final look back.... I stopped and got a 12 pack on the way home....then I sat out in the back yard and got drunk as I burned all my working uniforms and said goodbye to all by old buddies-made the wife and kid keep their distance till my face was dry.....next day I loaded up the wife and kid and we headed off into the unknown....As soon as the kid was married, I divorced her and dated women who actually liked me, or at least acted like they did.....I got to where I preferred sleeping alone and built myself a fine place complete with dance pole and pool table and disco lights and stage sound system and scooters in the house. Discovered I like young tattooed women who never frown or ask "where you been?" or "where you going?"....And that's where it's been with me last 10 years.

No regrets

Last edited by oinker02; 07-13-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I took three months off, traveled, ate to much and gained 15 pounds. Took me a year to get back to normal The first year is kind of hard just adjusting to a slower pace, but then you'll start to enjoy being a civilian again, although somthings just never go away like saying 1400 hours instead of two oclock. congrats.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 AM
rockhard69
Road Captain

Retired from the Air force, make sure you go out and ride or fish, whatever you really enjoy, because most jobs out there DON"T care what you did in the military. Civilians definetly don't have a good outlook on most things. Be prepared for being at the bottom, the new guy all over again, you had authority yesterday, not tommorrow.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:07 AM
NYTSTR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Smiddyt - first off "Congratulations" I was also in your position six years ago. I retired from the Army after 21 years, had 110 days (90 days leave & 20 days permissive TDY) of terminal leave. I took a whole month off and fished damn near every one of them. Wish I would have bought the Harley then instead of the bass boat (matter of fact the boats for sale now, got 2 Harleys and want another) . After that month off, I started to look for a job, kinda wondered if I made a mistake of retiring when I did but things worked out. I still miss it and would go back in a heartbeat if I could! Thanks for your service Smiddyt!

NYTSTR

Old 07-14-2009, 03:35 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only did 9 as true MIL but, last year, I finished an additional 35 doing DoD contract work and guess what! As soon as I retired, I got busier, MUCH busier - oh that "honey-do" phrase. Find a paying job FAST!

...after you ride, of course. Congrats man and thanks

Steve

Last edited by RangeRat; 07-14-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:06 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Retired from AF in 95 and took the two months terminal. The first week I must of drank enough beer to sink a battle ship, then started to look for a job. After the first month, wife was complaining about the Lowes Home Store bill, since I purchased new stuff every day. In month two started a new job and been working ever since. Use your military work ethic to get you moving since the new college kids I see have a hard time getting back from Starbucks to do work. Welcome to the retired guy club and enjoy!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 AM
Smiddyt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am/was a computer geek in the AF. Technically I was a Computer Operator which is AF speak for do anything with computers. But the town I wanted to move to has not caught on to the computer age yet so only pays minimum wage. I will probably have to choose somewhere else. I do plan on a lot of riding between now and the next job but the ride is the main reason I need a job. Still have that Harley payment.

Quick Reply: Start terminal leave this week..Kinda nervous