Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start terminal leave this week..Kinda nervous

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:17 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K1FLHPI
Hm, if I was just retiring from military service and had a touring bike, I would be crisscrossing the country I spent so many years serving before pursuing the next career step.
Thats why your not a world power.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 AM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer

Originally Posted by rocknrod
Thats why your not a world power.
Lol! The United States has nearly ten times the population of Canada. It is kind of hard to compete in the face of that kind of scope. However, I think both countries benefit from the friendship they have positively developed over the generations. Besides, I do not think the average Canadian is all that concerned with becoming a world power in the first place. But I do not want to derail this thread.

Seriously, I would seize the opportunity to tour the country that I spent so many years protecting and being ready to lay my life on the line for. I would want to know more about the nation, its people, and its spirit. If anyone deserves the chance to get a closer feel for the tone of the country, it is the men and women protecting it.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

terminal leave -- this is when you are going on leave at the end of your career either retirement or just the normal end of your enlistment -- you are still in the military but on leave until your official retirment/ETS dateQUOTE=petemac;5264994]Why do they call retirement "terminal leave"?

Good luck in your next career.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Smiddyt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the post, I dont think I will have a problem finding a job but....

Old 07-13-2009, 12:41 PM
meintel
Cruiser

I got out back in Feb 08. I was not even looking for a job when I got a phone call from my buddy asking me if I wanted a job. Long Story short 13 days into my 80 days of terminal leave I started my new career. I wish I would have taken some time off but you have to take what life gives ya.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Retired from the USAF las year after 21.5 years. I felt just like you, its all good though. I wish I had hair to choose a haircut.....

Old 07-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You really do not have to worry much. There are a lot of companies that want the skill sets that you learned in the military. The biggest decission you will have is what to wear...LOL... I have 22yrs in so far. Looking to retire at 25yrs. And like you the kids are now carrying on the tradition.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2K1FLHPI
Lol! The United States has nearly ten times the population of Canada. It is kind of hard to compete in the face of that kind of scope. However, I think both countries benefit from the friendship they have positively developed over the generations. Besides, I do not think the average Canadian is all that concerned with becoming a world power in the first place. But I do not want to derail this thread.

Seriously, I would seize the opportunity to tour the country that I spent so many years protecting and being ready to lay my life on the line for. I would want to know more about the nation, its people, and its spirit. If anyone deserves the chance to get a closer feel for the tone of the country, it is the men and women protecting it.
Your right.
I never took the opportunity either. Went straight to work. Looking back...

Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Biff_H
Advanced

Enjoy it Your biggest problem will be WHAT to were because you had the same things on for 20 yrs so to speak.

The other is if you have been wanted to do something now is the time to do it. Cause once you starting working again you will never do it. Time will slip away.

Good Luck

Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats to you on your retirement and a huge, sincere thank you for your service (your wife included as being a military wife has got to be one of the toughest things).

As said above, take a month off and do a cross-country road trip in celebration of your accomplishment. When you get home find a job that suits you and enjoy it too.

Quick Reply: Start terminal leave this week..Kinda nervous