Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 440 shocks, feedback please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009 | 07:37 PM
VT Hog
|
Road Warrior
Default Progressive 440 shocks, feedback please...

I am thinking of installing a set of "440" shocks on my '08 StreetGlide. I am looking for info from people who have done this. Do they ride better? What did you notice? Any bottoming out?

Thanks for any and all info..

Old 07-12-2009 | 07:53 PM
phattey
Cruiser

Hey Craigoh ...be prepared for million opinions on these. I've only used Progressive 440 IAS on my last 3 baggers. 12" HDs on my '05 SEEG and 12" HDs on my '96 flhtc and now 11.5" HDs on my '09 flhx.

Quick summary...there are better shocks out there. Mine have always topped out real bad on the rebound. I think the taller 13" don't suffer from that as much, but my experience on the 12" and the 11.5" is that rebound bump is present. I may be the minority on this issue, but just sharing my experience.

If I was to do it again and wanted progressive I'd save the money and get the 412s. I recently road an '09 flhx with 412's and I couldn't tell any difference. I rode over 50 miles on interstate and back roads with varying conditions...and the 412's were just fine.

you will get lot's of opinions here and they're all there to help you make a good decision. But the best decision you can make on shocks is to determine what kind of driving you do. 2 up? Solo only...whichever you do can have influence on the shocks you'll need. I got HDs because i ride mostly 2 up, but folks who ride more solo may find the standard shock good for them.

All in all, I think the 440's are a decent upgrade. I've read on here plus have friends who've moved into higher end stuff that are probably better.

I wanted my bike to be lower by another 1/2 inch so I went with the 11.5" HD 440's. They don't like a lot of load even dialed in heavy and the rebound is crappy. But my requirment was to be 1/2 lower and lose the air, thus I'm good.

Old 07-12-2009 | 07:58 PM
dFREDb
Club Member

440's are quite expensive for my budget, but I have always put them on my bikes and never regretted it. Got 11.5" on my Super Glide and when adjusted firm I have no bottoming out issues, and can handle a 170 pound passenger if I have too. I'm sure there are better and more expensive shocks out there, but my money is earmarked for other mods.

Old 07-12-2009 | 08:16 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

I bought the std duty ones and they sucked for me. 07 Roadglide came with 13" and I put 12.5" ones on, I ended up buying 12.5 heavy duty springs and the tool to change them, much better now. Before the spring change full hard I would still bottom out, now Im only two turns in and its good for me now.
Id look at Ohlins or get a hold of a good suspension tuner and see what they can do or advise, youll be money ahead in the long run

Old 07-12-2009 | 09:39 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

I've had 440's on 3 bikes and although definitely better than stock in ride and handling (IMHO) I prefer the Works Street Trackers I switched to last summer. No bottoming out with either. The Works are a little more $ and you'll have to wait a few weeks to get them as they're custom made based on your bike, riding style, weight etc.

Rick

Last edited by Egldr05; 07-12-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2009 | 09:53 PM
digz`
Tourer

Its best to get a shock made for you. Weight,gear, and riding style make a big difference.

Howard @ Motorcyclemetal.com has sold alot of peeps ohlins and penskes here and they swear by him. I get mine on Tuesday cant wait

He also gives hdforum members a discount , shoot him a pm or call

Old 07-12-2009 | 10:03 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

Had the lower 440 HD's on my 97 RK. Loved them, the first few times you hit a good bump and hear the IAS click you wonder what it is. If fixed the bottoming out issue I had with the air shocks.

Call Progressive and talk to them about the best set for you and your bike. I am a heavier guy, so went with the HD's. When a light weight mechanic would test ride it, it was too stiff and bounced him around. So the correct spring and adjustment is key. I liked the ability to be able to adjust them by hand.

Old 07-12-2009 | 10:20 PM
0204665J
Tourer
Default Progressive 440.

Much better than stock for one. Make sure you get the right height and HD if you are a bigger man and carry weight. You can call progressive and they can help you decide. I chose the 12 inch and HD and like them a-lot on my 06 Street Glide. Work the manual adjustment and you should like them.

Old 07-12-2009 | 10:21 PM
dgretz
Tourer

If they still offer lifetime warranty on them as they did a couple of years ago then are a good updgrade. I put 11.5" 440's on the wife's 04 sporty when she got it back in 04. Developed a oil leak a month ago. Called progressive and got a RMA # and sent them in and they sent them back to me in 1 week repaired. Seems to be somewhat common as know of another person who also had them leak.

Old 07-13-2009 | 06:19 AM
VT Hog
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the input. It is greatly appreciated.. My main problem is that I want a better shock that doesn't hit so hard and feel sloppy. I am going to look into the Works, Ohlins, and Penski for sure..

Quick Reply: Progressive 440 shocks, feedback please...