Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 440 shocks, feedback please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009 | 07:37 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgretz
If they still offer lifetime warranty on them as they did a couple of years ago then are a good updgrade. I put 11.5" 440's on the wife's 04 sporty when she got it back in 04. Developed a oil leak a month ago. Called progressive and got a RMA # and sent them in and they sent them back to me in 1 week repaired. Seems to be somewhat common as know of another person who also had them leak.
There is no lifetime warranty.
LINK to their page
PROGRESSIVE SUSPENSION'S SHOCK ABSORBER LIMITED WARRANTY
* Progressive Suspension's only responsibility shall be limited to repair or replacement of the defective product. Progressive Suspension will not be responsible for any costs, losses or damages incurred as a result of loss of use of product. Progressive Suspension reserves the right to change the design of any product without assuming any obligation to modify any product previously manufactured.

* This warranty is subject to the following limitations in addition to any imposed by virtue of applicable law.

o The warranty applies only to shock absorbers purchased from Authorized Dealers and is valid for the original purchaser only for a period of one (1) year from date of purchase.
o All products returned to Progressive Suspension for warranty inspection must receive prior return authorization which can be given over the phone.

Ship products prepaid and insured. Progressive Suspension assumes no responsibility for products during shipment from the customer to our Warranty Department. Shipping charges are not refundable.

o Excluded from coverage under this warranty are the following:
+ Damage caused by misuse, abuse or neglect
+ Damage caused by improper installation, use in an improper application or use in conjunction with other devices such as lowering blocks
+ Normal wear and tear
+ Damage caused by anything other than defects in material or workmanship
+ Damage caused by use in racing
+ Any and all claims for consequential or incidental damages

o All coverage under this warranty is void if any modification, change or alteration has been made to the product that is not specifically authorized in writing by Progressive Suspension.
o Repaired or replaced products are covered for the remainder of the original warranty only.
o All warranty claims must be accompanied by the original purchase receipt from an Authorized Dealer. Invoice or charge receipt must clearly identify the dealer.
o Progressive Suspension product is not covered by any verbal warranties.

Bottom line is do your own research and there are many here who have had Progressive suspension and switched over to other shocks. These members have had the experience of both products.

Use the search function and our members here are quick to help you out.

Use our (HDForums) advantages and learn before you make a purchasing mistake lhat you will have to live with for a long time. ONe of the many reasons why you have got the love this place.

Old 07-13-2009 | 08:26 AM
axe11
Cruiser

I was just going to give a big head's up to Howard at Motorcyclemetal.com. He's got the answers to your questions and will square you away with the best shocks available, such as Ohlins or Penske, customized for you and your riding habits.

axe11

Old 07-13-2009 | 09:49 AM
coolmac
Tourer

12" 440 standard duty on the 04' RG.
The IAS or rebound noise is present, but
the bike is very stable (no wobble) with a very smooth consistent
ride. I have them set 2 1/2 turn load preset.
Mostly solo @ 185lb , but also solo with the bike fully loaded.

Old 07-13-2009 | 01:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by craigeoh
I am thinking of installing a set of "440" shocks on my '08 StreetGlide. I am looking for info from people who have done this. Do they ride better? What did you notice? Any bottoming out?
I have 12½" 440's on my '07 SG, and there was an improvement in ride and handling. My stock 12" air shocks were unacceptable for any kind of serious riding, like touring on a wide-range of road conditions, the worse part of it being the bottoming. That would sometimes feel like it was trying to shove my tailbone into my Adam's apple, so something needed to be done. You should have the same setup on your '08, but I've heard the '09's are improved.

The key is dialing in the proper spring preload and I decided on 3½ turns (4 turns with Tour Pak attached) as a compromise for the best ride and least bottoming. I ride solo and weigh about 175#. I'm sure there are better rear-shock solutions on the market, likely all coming with a much higher cost, but there was improvement with the 440's. One negative is that the 440's have no rebound control, so sometimes you'll feel like the bike is launching you a bit, but I don't find this a problem.

Like any shock choice, I would install the tallest option available that you can tolerate, and the 440's are available up to 13½". The 12½" are about as short as I would choose, and might go with 13" if I had it to do again. OTOH going up ½" does not raise the bike enough for me to really notice, either visually or in the seating position, so it essentially improved the ride noticeably without changing the bike's appearance or riding position.

I bought mine used on Ebay for $300, about $100 off the usual on-line price, and you might consider that as a source. These were labeled as correct for Sportsters with heavy-duty springs, but are the standard springs for the FLH because of its heavier curb weight. I would not buy the heavy-duty springs unless you are heavy or usually ride two-up, and would check the Progressive site or call them for guidance on which to select if there's a doubt, as I've heard the HD springs stiffen the ride considerably.

Old 07-13-2009 | 08:37 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser

I have a set on my RK and would not go back to OEM shocks. I am very pleased with them and really for the money you cannot go wrong. I went with the 11 1/2" to lower the bike.

Old 07-13-2009 | 08:49 PM
dnitram
Road Master

I've got the 440 HD on my 09 SG, which I took off my Ultra before I traded it in. Set on the softest setting, it jars my back when I pull into my driveway. I got 'em for the Ultra, but couldn't stand to let them go on a trade-in. Since I don't carry a heavy load normally (except for my fat *ss), I thing I'm going to swap back to the original SG air shocks (35 +/- lbs air). Never tried the other brand of shocks mentioned in this post, so I can't comment about them. Friends that have Street Glide that have ridden my bike say it's "stiff" or "real firm," etc. Anyway, it kept the Ultra from bottoming out, but I'd say at the sacrifice of ride comfort.

Old 07-13-2009 | 10:25 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

I had 13" 440's on my SG, couldn't stop them from topping out. Didn't like them at all. I now have 13" HD air shocks and they do a good job.

Old 07-13-2009 | 11:50 PM
dgretz
Tourer

As I said, not sure if they are still offering a limited lifetime warranty, but they repaired mine which are 5 yrs old at no charge. The warranty sheet that came with the shocks is titled " Progressive Suspension 440 Series I.A.S. Shock Absorber Limited Lifetime Warranty" not a 1 year warranty as others are implying from their website. I won't copy the rest word for word for the warranty sheet. Enough said

Old 07-14-2009 | 12:40 AM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default Ohlins

Ohlins shocks .......... enough said. You won't regret it.