Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rg owners for the record

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:15 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. 6'1

2. 34

3. Clearview +2

4. stock

5. Soft Lowers for rain or cold mornings

6. No

7. Perfect now. I can smoke behind it at 80 mph..lol

8. I only ride with a half shell helmet or none at all if I can. I can still look over the windshield by 2 or 3 inches. With the stocker on, once I got to 50 mph, the wind noise and buffering was unacceptable. I didn't even like riding it like that. It would have been better not putting one on the scooter in the first place. The only issue with the +2 CV is that the mirrors hit the sides of the shield. Makes it hard to lock the handle bars since it's not only 2" higher, it's also 2 " wider. Not a big deal to me. I'm a little spoiled comming off a Heritage with that huge windshield. I'd say they're equal now. You don't really realize how much protection it gives you untill you drive around on a bike without one. I looked at the Klockworks, and it is a great looking shield, but with riding with an open faced helmet, protection from bugs, rocks and sand, the CV covered all of it hands down.
heywood

Old 07-13-2009, 03:19 PM
bignateLA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 5'7" 30" inseam, stock seat, 12" Klockwerks flare shield, no buffeting.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the RG, but ended up on an FLHT when I made the jump to a touring bike.
Here's the info after spending a bunch of time on my friend's RG before I bought.

1. Your Height?

5'9"

2. Your inseam?

32" boots on.

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.)

stock

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring

stock

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft

none

6. Do you have a Tourpak mounted on the bike?

no TP

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day?

Very bad buffeting problem for me. Shook my head all over the place at highway speed. One up, never took a passenger on his bike. Windy day not a factor.

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped.

My solution was an FLHT. Back then I was a beanie wearer, now that I tour in a FF all the time I'd like to try another RG to see if it makes a difference.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:01 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,504 Likes on 11,107 Posts

6ft 3in
36 in inseam
'biker's delight' 10 in w/s
MCC modified U/C seat
No lowers
No tourpac
No buffeting.....I wear a beanie helmet
Can hear mp3 tunez without distortion at interstate speeds on stock music system

I just looked and don't have an updated pic with the 10 in dark smoked
shield........guess this calls for a roadtrip with camera next sunny day.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 PM
saw*me
Tourer

1: 6.0'

2: 33"

3: Cee Baileys Euro

4: HD Sundowner

5: No Lowers

6: Chopped HD Tourpac

7: Very Little

8: Finally got the bke to suit the wife and I both. Love the RG !!!

Tom

Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Don W.
Cruiser

1. Your Height? 5' 10"

2. Your inseam? 30"

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.) Cee Baily 14" Euro

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring- HD Touring

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft Yes- HD

6. Do you have a Tourpak mounted on the bike? No

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day? No

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped. If I had to do it over again, I would have went with a 15" in Light gray instead of dark gray. Wind catches me in the forehead a bit.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
mikemce
Intermediate

1 - 6'3"
2 - 34"
3 - HD Tall Windshield
4 - Stock Seat with Adjustable Backrest
5 - Currently no lowers - Hogg Chopps on order
6 - No Tourpak
7 & 8 - With the stock shield buffeting was unbearable. I rode with a 6" windshield because it was better than the buffeting - HD tall windshield is much better. I can see over it and have little or no buffeting, but moderate wind noise. HD tall shield also vibrates a lot. I always wear a full face helmet.

Update:
Hogg Chopps installed for about a month. Less wind on legs. Still have about same wind noise around helmet, but no buffeting. Have hogtunes speakers ordered so that I can hear the radio better.

Last edited by mikemce; 08-26-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
dave7mm
Cruiser

1. Your Height? - 6',6"

2. Your inseam? - 36

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.) - Clearview +2

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring - H-D ultra Day-Long

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft - soft

6. Do you have a Tourpak mounted on the bike? - Tee bag on rider back rest,luggage rack

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day?
I feel I get more "air" than I used to get with my 05 EGS.I would not call it buffeting.The top of my head must be in the right pocket.

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped.
Clearview +2

Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 AM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Your Height? 6'

2. Your inseam? 34

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.) Clear View, stock height, light tint, recurve

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring Mustang solo

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft No lowers

6. Do you have a Tourpak mounted on the bike? No tour pac

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day? Minor buffeting, no differnce with passenger.

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped. I looked over original windshied and could see objects on the ground about 30 ft out. New shield maybe 40'. Significant reduction of buffeting for operator. Original shield allowed stream of air to hit helmet just above my eyes at 75-80 MPH, new shield allows wind to graze the top of my helmet at same speeds. Also reduced passenger buffeting a little. Recurve not for someone who looks through the shied due to major distortion at the recurve. The light tint is very light, almost inperceptable. I'm picking up some reflection from the gas cap cover and bottom of the speedo/tach at the recurve area. Initially thought it would be a major issue, but after 400 mile ride over the weekend I hardly noticed it. We hit 35-40 mph cross winds on the same ride and my buddy with a bat wing described it as a white knuckle experience. My response was "what wind." The new shield was rock solid. No more visible flexing like stock shield. Cross winds are but one of the areas where the RG really shines.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Minglewood
Advanced

Height: 5'11"; Inseam: 31" (tall torso); WS: Clearview Custom 1.5" over stock, stock rake; Seat: stock; No lowers; No tour pak; Buffeting area limited to top portion of helmet (way above ear level); Other comments: had Clearview +2" on earlier RG. The custom 1.5" stock rake does same for reducing wind while reducing substantially the mass of the shield. Also, no mirror interference with stock rake shield but did have some interference with +2" shield.

Attached Thumbnails Rg owners for the record-clearview-custom-1.5-inch-stock-rake-upload.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rg owners for the record