Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rg owners for the record

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:16 AM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. 5'6"
2. 29"
3. Currently running CB Euro 14"
4. Stock seat
5. HoggChopps lowers (bought specifically to try to reduce turbulence)
6. No tourpack
7. Slight buffetting now (vibration?). Much less than with other shields (stock, stock trimmed, HD 6").Noticable at 60+mph with headwind but is bearable. I never carry a passenger.
8. This has been the most aggravating issue I have had with this bike and was so bad with the stock shield that it literally rattled my teeth, blurred my vision and got physically painful. There is a 'quiet pocket' with these fairings but unfortunately it is too far forward to be of any use. Try leaning toward the shield some time at speed and you'll see what I mean - beautiful, still air.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BCguy,
You are dead on with what I am experiencing. Hope you will find a combination on this thread that may help you. With your height, you may be able to get rid of this with the right shield. Good luck

Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 AM
ivel_86
Tourer

1. 6'2

2. 32"

3. Stock Harley

4. Stock

5. Do you have lowers?
Nope, but plan on adding cloth lowers.

6. Do you have a Tourpak mounted on the bike?
No tour Pack just T-Bag

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day?
I get buffeting at or around 70mph. Other than that its great. No changes for me on a windy day. No changes two up either.

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped Love the bike. I do not wear a DOT helmet. I wear glasses and its fine. Also make a huge differnce I wear ear plugs it makes everything more enjoyable.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
sporty06
Road Captain

1. Your Height?
5'11''

2. Your inseam?
34''

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.)
CB SSC 15

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring
HD pillow look

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft
no

yes detachable

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day? Used to rattle my glasses around but that went away with the CB windshield. I can also hear the radio better.

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped.
The CB windshield allows me to look over the shield and keeps the turbulent air about 3-4" about my helmet.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:43 PM
dklanecky
Tourer

1. Your Height? 6'0"

2. Your inseam? 32"

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.) Stock HD

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring. Stock HD, with HD adjustable driver's back rest.

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft. No Lowers

6. Do you have a Tourpak mounted on the bike? No Tourpak

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day? I normally wear a 1/2 helmet. Just did 570 miles Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, riding in high winds, I had a very sore neck and shoulders at the end of the day from fighting the buffeting. Sunday, no winds to speak of and virtually no buffeting. I do get some air hitting the top of my helmet, but unless we're doing 75mph into a 30mph wind (like Saturday) I normally don't have a problem.

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped. For me, the stock size clearview seems like it will be the right change in windshield as the recurve will probably throw all the air over the top. The adjustable back rest made me sit up straighter by about an inch (better posture and much more comfortable).

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
dklanecky
Tourer

1. Your Height? 6'0"

2. Your inseam? 32"

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.) Clearview +2"

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring Stock HD with Adjustable HD drivers backrest.

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft. No Lowers.

6. Do you have a Tourpak mounted on the bike? No Tourpak.

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day? With this +2 CV windshield, all buffeting is gone, absolutely dead quiet. Problem for me is the recurve is right in my line of sight (with this size, I'm barely looking over the shield) and is very disorientating. I'm only using this one for COLD weather commuting in the early spring or very late fall.

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped. I answered twice, since I have two different shields and very different results with each one.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Your Height?
5'10"

2. Your inseam?
32"

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.)
Clearview wedium +1

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring
Mustang Touring

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft
No but Hogg Chopps on order

Yes

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day?

Since installing the Mustang seat, the wind hits my helmet which is a problem when wearing my half helmet. Not a problem with my Nolan. The mustang seat raised my up. The stock seat worked well with the CV. I am now looking at something else. Possibly a Vstream. I would rate the buffeting as moderate.

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped.

I thought I had the perfect windshield until I changed the seat. I'm very happy with the CV but now I'm hearing there may be a better choice. I'm waiting for some reviews to roll in.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
BCguy,
You are dead on with what I am experiencing. Hope you will find a combination on this thread that may help you. With your height, you may be able to get rid of this with the right shield. Good luck
These are great bikes so it's too bad that this issue detracts from our riding pleasure. I think I've got it about as good as it's going to get with the setup I have now.

If moco redesigns the RG for 2010 like it seems they will, I can only hope they do a rework of the fairing to eliminate this problem. Then it really will be the perfect Harley.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Agent Orange
Cruiser

1. Your Height? 5'10"

2. Your inseam? 30

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.) Clearview,standard height

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring Mustang 2 up smooth ultra with matching backrest

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft. I have soft lowers..only on sometimes

6. Do you have a Tourpak mounted on the bike? Yes,Ultra Tourpack,detachable

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day? I/we ride two up a LOT (80%).I really dont have any problem with buffeting at any speed..

Maybe I'm just the right size and shape,I haven't had a buffeting problem even with the stock shield and seat..

]

Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
mrjharley
Cruiser

. Your Height? 6'00"

2. Your inseam? 33" (roughly-damn tape measure kept falling)

3. Make of windshield? (Mfr./model/type/height etc.) Stock

4. Type of Seat? (Mfr./model) I.E. Corbin/Solo or HD/Touring Touring

5. Do you have lowers? I.E. HD or Hogchopps or Soft No lowers

6. Do you have a Tourpak mounted on the bike? Yes

7. Do you have a buffeting problem now? Describe in full of how bad? I.E. at what speed? one or/and two up riding? only on windy day? I haven't noticed any, on windy days, wife seems to get a little buffeting.

8. Add any other comments that you may want to express about solutions and what helped. Waiting and looking at everyone else for suggestions, ideas. Oh yea, RG riders rock!!!

Quick Reply: Rg owners for the record