Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

planning a trip around Lake Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 AM
juscoop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning a trip around Lake Michigan

I am going to a ride around lake Michigan with my 11 year old daughter .Leaving from the Chicago area . I have never made the trip . I am looking for any advise on places to see and things to do . What routes would be the best . We plan on riding 5 hrs per day and that should make it a 4 day ride . We will also be tenting so we well be looking for state parks with showers . This is going to be my last ride of the year because I will be haveing back surgery fusion L1-L2-L3 on the 28th .

Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Enjoy your trip with your daughter, never gone around Lake Michigan, but we have done Lake Superior a couple of times.
The Great Lakes are full of history.
On your way through Milwaukee, stop and check out the HD museum for sure.
Good luck with your surgery too.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Mr_Bill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trip

When you get to Dearborn, burb of Detroit, the Ford Museum is worth seeing. Traverse City has great sand dunes and lake views. Before crossing the Mackinac Bridge you may want to take a side trip to Mackinac Island. When you get to Milwaukee the Harley Museum is a must see. Hope you enjoy the trip with your daughter. A great bonding trip for both of you and one she will never forget!
Enjoy The Trip,
Mr_Bill

Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only done Lake Superior. As far as direction of travel I prefer counter clockwise. "Most" rain storms travel from west to east. If you travel clockwise there is a good chance you may hit the same rain more than once depending on the storms speed and your travel time. Counter clockwise puts the storm behind you.
The down side is most pull offs for scenery will be on your left crossing traffic more often.

Have a great time with your daughter. I have back issues too. Good luck on the surgery!!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 627 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Bill
When you get to Dearborn, burb of Detroit, the Ford Museum is worth seeing. Traverse City has great sand dunes and lake views. Before crossing the Mackinac Bridge you may want to take a side trip to Mackinac Island. When you get to Milwaukee the Harley Museum is a must see. Hope you enjoy the trip with your daughter. A great bonding trip for both of you and one she will never forget!
Enjoy The Trip,
Mr_Bill
You won't be going ANYWHERE NEAR detroit. You will want to follow 31 north and hug Lake Michigan.... across the BIG MAC, and US 2 west. It is an awesome trip, done it many times. If you choose that route give me a holler.... you will be coming right thru our gorgeous town of Charlevoix, MI and I can direct you to camping, sights, etc.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:58 AM
chedderbandit
Novice

Depending on when you are leaving, Muskegon is having it's annual Bike Time 7/17, 7/18 and 7,19. You can checkout the web site http://www.muskegonbiketime.com/

Old 07-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't miss M-119 just north of Traverse and south west of Mackinaw, the 'Tunnel of Trees' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-119_%...gan_highway%29
Great riding roads in MI, did both the Michigan loop and Superior loop when I lived there. Grand Haven/South Haven/ Holland parks get busy in West Mich, but you should find a spot to stay fine elsewhere. In the UP, Fayette is a historic town and neat old mining site. FWIW, Michigan is a helmet state, Illinois and Wisconsin are not so plan accordingly.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:39 PM
KBrown53
Road Captain

enjoy and cherish your time with your daughter. You are in my prayers for your surgery

Old 07-12-2009, 01:00 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
You won't be going ANYWHERE NEAR detroit. You will want to follow 31 north and hug Lake Michigan.... across the BIG MAC, and US 2 west. It is an awesome trip, done it many times. If you choose that route give me a holler.... you will be coming right thru our gorgeous town of Charlevoix, MI and I can direct you to camping, sights, etc.

Great choice but ..... if he is leaving from chicago id suggest just heading north along the lake and then into michigan taking 2 across to the big mac bridge then back down your way along lake michigan the hit I 94 back to the windy city.. There may be a side trip up to lake superior in there though too...
Make a stop at charlevoix , traverse city , holland ,grand haven ,south haven is pretty cool too and your gonna (if you do it right ) ride thru benton harbor also.. Let me know when your coming thru and what direction. Im in Jackson but I love a good ride over to the lake ... If im free ill ride over to meet you. I dont work so im free all week pretty much all week although im scouring craigslist for an engine and trans for my 54 1f-100 project so that could hold me up.. Oh ya when your heading across 2 near nobinway (spelling) I have relatives that were raised there as fishermen.. I wonder if the big ol house is still there as they had like 12 kids ..

Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 PM
greggg
Cruiser

Ludington Mi. has a great state park if you can get a campsite.There a circle tour,I see signs all the time.Watch for deer and critters on the roads,The tunnel of trees is reel cool.

Quick Reply: planning a trip around Lake Michigan