Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

planning a trip around Lake Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
On the Michigan side, I would suggest stopping in Sauqatuck; a quaint little antique town of about 1,000 people.

You ever heard the rumor about it being a gay town ?... Ive never had any problems there though ...

Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Rob2002
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your planning to stay at a state park, start calling for reservations. The west coast of Michigan is pretty busy in the summer. I'm in the Benton Harbor area and rode up the lake yesterday. If your on 31 South around the Saugatuck area, take the blue star Hwy south. (it follows the lake clear to Michigan City)
Have fun.

Rob

Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dc
You ever heard the rumor about it being a gay town ?... Ive never had any problems there though ...
A buddy of mine jokingly calls it "sausage tuck"!

It does have that reputation but it's just like every other Michigan tourist town in the summer...crowded! The wife & I rode down for dinner last August and had to park the bike two or three blocks from the restaurant.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I never heard that; back in the late 70’s and early 80’s we used to boat across Lake Michigan to Sauqatuck for Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day weekends. Sauqatuck was one big party town for those weekends and about as far from gay as a town could be.

For 99.9% of the year the population was about 1,000 but for those weekends the population swelled to about 30,000. Great time... great hang overs!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard any rumors about Soggybutt.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I have made that trip many times. I would leave Ctown and go north through Wisconsin. Follow the circle tour route. Manitowoc is a real nice town with lots to see. Three rivers has a beautiful state park along the lake shore.Dorr county, just north of Green Bay is a must see. Then up thru Marinette and along the lakeshore to Escanaba. There are a couple county parks along the lakeshore in Michigan between Menominee and Escanaba. Then along US2 to St. Ignace. There is a beautiful state park right at the foot of the Macinaw bridge. You can take the ferry out to Macinaw Island from St. Ignace. Then over the bridge and take US 31 along the west side of Michigan. Petosky has a real nice state park and so does Charlevoix. Sleeping Bear sand dunes is a must see. Ludington Has the nicest state park in Michigan, but make reservations because it is almost always full. As far as the southwest part of Michigan I avoid it because of the traffic. I would recomend taking the SS Badger across to Manitowoc form Ludington. Your daughter will love it and so will you. They have spaces for motorcycles that you can tie down your bike.