Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet communication

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Swamphunter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet communication

My wife and I road a bike last month that had the set up for the helmet communication system and we really liked it. We travel for hours on the Harley, and although is nice not to have to talk the whole time
it is nice to be able to cummunicate with her without turning my head around and yelling while spit runs out of my mouth and slaps her in the face.....

My new RK does not have the set up obviously, so was wondering what the best aftermarket set up is where we can talk and she can listen to her ipod or whatever....

Thanks

Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 AM
dwhite74
Advanced

Dont buy J&M stuff..........i bought headphones and mics at laughlin and they have real crappy sound and the intercom does not work well at all..............and they wont refund my money..........please be warned!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer

The Scala Rider q2 multiset. (comes with two set ups). I am very happy with mine and it's wireless Bluetooth. There are videos on YouTube showing how it works that are pretty good

Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have an Autocom Pro-M1 that I have used on several bikes in several configurations. The unit sits under my seat so adjusting the VOX settings is not very convenient but once you get everything adjusted just right it's fine. Right now it's wired into my accessory plug under the seat so I can turn it on or off with the switch. It's able to accommodate a CB for bike-to-bike communication, intercom for passenger and music from radio or iPod. By the time I acquired the main unit, two headsets, various upper and lower cords, etc. I had several hundreds of dollars into it. It is amazing just how much more enjoyable riding is when you can communicate without yelling.

Last edited by RoadHog659; 07-12-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Hawnted
Cruiser

Autocom or Baher if you want the best.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Swamphunter
Road Captain

2 more questions..

1) Do these work with half helmets?? Or do you need a full face helmet (maybe a dumb question but not sure)

2) I assume my new RK will not have an accessory plug as there is no fairing. (Haven't taken delivery yet, waiting to order a 2010 model). How does this wire in??

Thanks

Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Hawnted
Cruiser

I have the Autocom on my Vstar 1300. The module is under the seat, battery powered. You tap into a switched source so its only on when the bike is on. You can run phone, gps, 2 music sources and Bike to bike off of the unit. You will run the rider and passenger cables from the unit to where you need them.

Some choose not to have it under the seat but rather in a handlebar pouch up front. I did not like this and thought it looked messy.

When I get home I can take some pictures of my setup if it would help. Just watch your eyes while looking at my ugly metric until I can swing an 09 ultra classic

Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
catracho
Road Captain

Scala Rider Q2 or you can go with Nolan helmets with buit in communications

Old 07-12-2009, 12:00 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhite74
Dont buy J&M stuff..........i bought headphones and mics at laughlin and they have real crappy sound and the intercom does not work well at all..............and they wont refund my money..........please be warned!!!
Wow, that has not been my experience with J&M at all. They went above and beyond for me, I could not be happier.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dito on the Scala Rider Q2. The wife and I both use 1/2 helmets and they work good. She can hear me at 70mph although it's not like being in a quiet room or our car but still functional.

Quick Reply: Helmet communication