Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple killed in motorcycle crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:31 PM
simsjam
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple killed in motorcycle crash

Here is a story that really angers me with the link. What they did not go into detal about is he ran into them while street racing with another car. So for killing 2 people he can get out in 3 years or less.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/year...d-soldier.html

Carson soldier given three years in fatal crash
Comments 24 | Recommend 1
July 10, 2009 - 3:22 PM
JOHN C. ENSSLIN
THE GAZETTE
A judge Friday sentenced a Fort Carson soldier to three years in prison for crashing his speeding car into a couple on a motorcycle, killing them both.

Fourth Judicial District Judge Ronald Crowder imposed the sentence on Pfc. Brandon Howard, 19, with the possibility of a reduction later if he completes the prison’s boot camp program.

A jury convicted Howard in April of vehicular homicide in the Dec. 7 deaths of Charles Coggins, 57, and Jacqueline Hansen, 47.

“I sincerely believe you are remorseful,” Crowder told Howard in a courtroom packed on one side with soldiers and on the other with the victims’ relatives.

“But you have hung onto this brake story and that’s what angers people,” the judge added.

During the trial, the defense pointed to faulty brakes as the cause of the Dec. 7 accident on Academy Boulevard near the Fountain exit. Prosecutors countered that Howard knew about the brake problem in advance and did nothing to fix it.

Howard apologized to the victim’s relatives and pleaded for probation.

“I’m very, very sorry,” he said.

Coggins’ sister, Paula Rippie, asked the judge to impose the maximum six-year sentence so that Howard “has time to consider the magnitude” of the harm he has done.

After Crowder announced his sentence, Howard’s wife fled the courtroom in tears. Howard handed his wallet to one soldier and another told him, “stand tall,” as a deputy put the handcuffs on him.

The Coggins family released a statement thanking those who worked on the case and adding: “We would like to add this tragedy has not changed our love and respect for our men and women in the United States Armed Forces.”

Old 07-11-2009, 03:44 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there a post under your avatar?

Old 07-11-2009, 03:47 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KopperTop
Was there a post under your avatar?
I just looked at it again. Looks like everything is there

Old 07-11-2009, 03:56 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

3 years, that's 36 times as much as Donte Stallworth got for killing a man.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:01 PM
MNrider
Tourer

Faulty brakes? Maximum sentence? This justice system is messed up when it comes to taking lives. He can get out early if he completes a prison boot camp? Gimmie a break!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:16 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MNrider
Faulty brakes? Maximum sentence? This justice system is messed up when it comes to taking lives. He can get out early if he completes a prison boot camp? Gimmie a break!
The worst part was he was purposly speeding on a busy street (I know where it happened) and racing another car! It is not like he was just driving along and it was an accident. I do not call what he did accidental in that sense.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:29 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is never such a thing as an "accident". It is always driver error. Period. Doesn't matter what you drive, every collision is not an accident.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:49 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,121 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Kill a biker,go to jail. This dude was racing on a public road. He should do the maximum time allowed by law!................ What a joke!!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 05:56 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

As a pro drag racer, I'm always talking to kids about the dangers of street racing. I talk to them about taking it to the strip, and putting their skills against the light and competitors. This story is the reason why. It's so sad..........

Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

The guy who died sounded like a class act, asset to his country. Saying I am sorry can I go home now after killing two people..............I don't think so but 3 yrs is bullsh****t. At least 10 solid yrs in jail and then 10 more probation, loss of driving priv
and spek to kids about being a moron and ruining 2 lives........

Quick Reply: Couple killed in motorcycle crash