Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken pulley studs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:26 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by twofish
This happened to the salesperson’s Street Bob who sold me my first Harley.
Now I’m constantly looking at them before I get on my ride, in hopes I can
see anything that may have started to loosen.
I also read on this forum about it happing to others.

http://www.metacafe.com/channels/twofish/
Damn hard to tell. If everything is chromed and cleaned religously, there will be a black dust line forming in the crack of the joint if it's moving. Short of that you need a way of latching onto the sprochet for leverage and trying to get slight back and forth rotation indipendant of the wheel itself. If you can, it's lost bolt torque. Sadly as I mentioned in the earlier thread, slapping a wrench on the bolt will prove nothing other than the loctite is working. I suspect many of these kind of failures are due to improper assembly techniques. Poor mating surfaces, wrong bolts, chrome bolts, or chrome on chrome mating surfaces that are slippery causing too much load on the bolts themselves. Done right, it should be a non issue.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 07-11-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:52 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen....just drill and use a easy out and then put in new bolts.......no big deal.....

Old 07-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happend to my buddys low rider 2 weeks ago. Called me up to go rescue him sout of us on sunday. All the bolts had loosened up and one was broke? He had put a new chrome wheel on 2 months back and torqued and used locktite. The only this is he reused the aftermarket bolts that he got on Ebay. The bolts had no shank (all threads). We tighten them to get him home. He ended up replacing them with the same type of bolt? I perfer the harley ones even though they are too $ because the shank is just the right lenghth. Stronger Bolt. Also my brother in-law has a buddy that had all the bolts back out and lock up the wheel. I think there are some strong gremlins out there messing with scoots.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
Wow this one is very interesting... No idea, but I learn something from you guys every day.

PS: I don't see any bolts that are visible on the pulley of my '09 RK when I pull off my left saddle bag - are the '09 bikes different? How do I check these bolts (if there are any that can be checked)?

You have the cush-drive on your '09...should not see any external bolts if I am thinking clearly...but some '09 owners should be able to answer more accurately.