Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on front wheel wobble and loose steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 PM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice on front wheel wobble and loose steering issue

Good evening guys,

I've got a 2008 Street Glide with 8500 miles.

I just returned home from a 5 day, 1400 mile trip around Lake Michigan. About 700 miles into the trip, I started to notice an odd feel to the steering... The best way I can describe it is that at about 50-60 mph, I begin to get the feeling like something has become disconnected within my front wheel (something like a loose bearing which made the steering feel "loose" and I can feel it through the grips (if that makes sense). I get an ever so slight feeling of wobble (very hard to detect, but when combined with the aforementioned feeling, it starts to become a bit more noticeable.) Needless to say, this front end wobble made me a bit over-cautious when making long sweepers (kind of a bummer).

Not sure if this is associated with the problem, but if I lift my hands off the handlebars at 15-20 mph, the bike will go into a serious wobble on the front end, but I think that may be normal - just not sure...

The bike is still under warranty, and I plan on bringing it into the dealer. I'd just like to narrow down the feeling to a potential problem.

By the way, here is a pic of me going over the Mackinac Bridge - now theres a sensation that will make you question your steering...

Attached Thumbnails Advice on front wheel wobble and loose steering issue-big-d-on-big-mac.jpg   Advice on front wheel wobble and loose steering issue-mackinac-bridge.jpg  

Last edited by buckwheat; 07-10-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:09 AM
digz`
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you check steering nut? I had a low speed deceleration wobble at 35mph and i fixed it by torquing the nut.

If yours is to loose it will wobble like a ****

Old 07-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Potatobudvs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buckwheat
Good evening guys,

I've got a 2008 Street Glide with 8500 miles.

I just returned home from a 5 day, 1400 mile trip around Lake Michigan. About 700 miles into the trip, I started to notice an odd feel to the steering... The best way I can describe it is that at about 50-60 mph, I begin to get the feeling like something has become disconnected within my front wheel (something like a loose bearing which made the steering feel "loose" and I can feel it through the grips (if that makes sense). I get an ever so slight feeling of wobble (very hard to detect, but when combined with the aforementioned feeling, it starts to become a bit more noticeable.) Needless to say, this front end wobble made me a bit over-cautious when making long sweepers (kind of a bummer).

Not sure if this is associated with the problem, but if I lift my hands off the handlebars at 15-20 mph, the bike will go into a serious wobble on the front end, but I think that may be normal - just not sure...

The bike is still under warranty, and I plan on bringing it into the dealer. I'd just like to narrow down the feeling to a potential problem.

By the way, here is a pic of me going over the Mackinac Bridge - now theres a sensation that will make you question your steering...
I've basically got the same issue. I'm taking it to Capitol City HD here in WI on Wednesday morning. I'll make sure to get back to you and let you know what they fixed on mine. Happy riding!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:33 PM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Potatobudvs
I've basically got the same issue. I'm taking it to Capitol City HD here in WI on Wednesday morning. I'll make sure to get back to you and let you know what they fixed on mine. Happy riding!
Thank you for keeping me in the loop!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:52 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Default tire pressure

Did you check the tire pressure. Low tire pressure will make the front end unstable.

To check the torque of the fork stem, lock the brakes and "push"/"pull" the bike very hard, if you dont hear anything but the fluid in the forks, its not the stem nut.

To check the stem bearings, put the bike on a stand and twist the handlebars as far left as you can and let go. It should recenter. Then check right. Again it should recenter.

Do you have spoke wheels? If so, check the trueness of the front wheel. Search this forum for methods.

Hopefully its just the nut behind the handlebars

...gene