Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals for '09 SG - What do you really lose - real numbers....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all those that have chimed in - THANKS! for the answers and your experiences, this will assist me in deciding on what to do as far as exhaust goes.

So far I am really leaning toward Bub 7 True Duals - or the Bub 7 Slip-ons (but Slip-ons are not available in Black yet!) everyone that has them says they are deeper sounding, really scream when you twist the wick, but level out nicely at highway cruise speeds.

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 07-19-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

Originally Posted by danmo
I personally went with Bub7 True Duals w/out the crossover because I liked the look more and wouldn't feel the power loss because it was better than stock. My stock pipes were in rough shape so that made me want to go with a whole new exhaust setup.
danmo,
How is the heat on the passenger's left calf with the True Duals? I am a little worried about that. Also, I have RJ's Original's heat shields on my bike and wonder if they will interfear with the rear cylinder (left) exhaust pipe?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by NAUIdvr1
For all those that have chimed in - THANKS! for the answers and your experiences, this will assist me in deciding on what to do as far as exhaust goes.

So far I am really leaning toward Bub 7 True Duals - or the Bub 7 Slip-ons (but they are not available in Black yet!) everyone that has them says they are deeper sounding, really scream when you twist the wick, but level out nicely at highway cruise speeds.
If you want black Bub 7 slip ons go for the Brouhard Bub slip ons. They look bad azz !

http://bub.com/Harley_Davidson_FL_To...&pn=B5%2D1003B

Last edited by acchd; 07-19-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:23 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

Originally Posted by acchd
If you want black Bub 7 slip ons go for the Brouhard Bub slip ons. They look bad azz !
Those were/are really hard to get because Bub only made a small amount of them and most ended up as dealer displays - atleast, that's what I've been told by several dealers. Also, been told there not making them anymore. I'm also not quite as enthusastic as you are about them. But, thanks for the pointer.

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 07-21-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NAUdvr1,
Sorry I didn't reply before, I've been on a trip for the past 10 days.
The heat isn't bad at all. A little hotter than it was but way better than the heat from the crossover.

One thing my Uncle noticed following me for 10 days is the colder it got, the louder my pipes seemed to get. I still say they have a nice cruising tone though, but then again I had straights on my sporty.

I too find it REAL hard to believe that stock pipes are better in torgue than true duals. My seat of the pants dyno tells me otherwise. I can keep up with my Dad's bike better now than when it was stock too.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 AM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a stage 1 with duals, I will guarentee, you will have gain in hp and torque. My hp went up 8 and torque 10 from stock. I own 04 carbed rk custom, samson dual head pipes with thunderheader slipons. It seems like alot of these guys are getting bad tunes with fuel injected bikes. I just dont see all of this power loss with mine. Trust me, if I thought I was loosing all of this power I would have ran out and bought a 2-1. In saying all of this, I will admit that a 2-1 will give you more low end grunt. I am not argueing that point.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 AM
TwistedT
6th Gear

I have an '09 SG and just finished my stage 1. Got a PCV, SE Heavy Breather and V&H Competition Series slip ons from FuelMoto. Jamie has this exact setup on his '09 SG and loves it! The V&H Black Widows are NOT available for the '09s. They do not fit. I wanted black slip ons with the HD stock heads as thats what I was told is the best setup and it's cheaper than True Duals. I got the black V&H Comps and they sound great! Very deep and a little louder than the Rineharts. They also look great! So many have the Rineharts and I wanted to be different. A friend had thunderheaders and they're way too loud IMO. The comps are between Rineharts and Thunderheaders. I would go with the HB and the PCV at the same time. Install is easy.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason the Bub7 TD set up is better is because it's a stepped header. The exhaust flows out faster and will be better for bigger builds. It's almost too much for a stock 96" IMHO. Trust me, I ended up with a heat score from it being too lean on the heat shield.

The pipe immediatley jumps to 7/8, 1" at the cam cover, and then it looks like 1 1/8 before the muffler. same theory as a stepped hull on a boat. Not sure about the rear cylinder as I haven't taken the shield off and the pipes were put on at the dealer before I took delivery.

Someone had a dyno on them last year and they showed +5hp and +7 tq over stock.

Love the pipes. Have the TD w/o crossover on the RG and Bub7 slipon's on the SB. Believe it or not, the Slipon's are louder than the TD's. They are very deep and I believe the TD are suppose to be in excess of 96 db's when you get into them. They mellow out nicely at cruising speed.

As for heat, I can't comment as I never road it with the stock set up.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Triggerman
Advanced

Get the pipes you really want. Is 2 or 3 H.P. or TQ more important than the way you want your bike to look + sound? There are lots of ways to gain a few extra ponies if needed. TD's also make cleaning the area behind the rear cylinder a LOT easier. Don't get too hung up on DYNO numbers. I see people posting close to 100 TQ with just a pipes + A.C. change. (don't believe it)

Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

To All,
Thanks for the info. It really does help in assitisting me on deciding the exhaust to go with. I think I am going to go for the Bub 7 Black Ceramic True Duals.

So far I have installed the following:
SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner (temporary, got it cheap from forum member)
PC-V
Today I installed the Wrinkle Black covers (Primary, Tran top, Trans Side & Cam Timing cover) - have wrinkle Black A/C cover on the way (used, cheap - this is also temporary).

So my Blacked Out project is coming together nicely, just have to buy the black exhaust & paint my PAD Mini beast 2 air horn Wrinkle black.