Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Stage 1???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:08 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer Stage 1???

Getting close to 1000 mile service after break in and would like to do something to get a few more ponies and a bit more torque, also make the engine run a bit cooler not to mention maybe some better fuel milage. Ive got little over 500 miles on her now and the milage s#cks. What exactly is the map that the dealer programs into the bike gonna do for me?? Last bike I bought already had the screamin eagle super tuner, air breather, and vance and hines pipes on it when I bought it and it ran really good, and the milage was also around 47 to 48 on the hiway at 70 to 75 miles per hour. Dont have the funds right now to do a SEST or SERT, or PC V right now, so Im thinking of maybe just doing the dealer download and air breather. Already have some vance&hines slip ons. Would like some thoughts on the download and what its going to do for me until I can upgrade to one of the other units at a later time, is it gonna be worth it for a while?? Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your money. Dealer download is one trick pony.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,141 Likes on 3,667 Posts

I have it on my 07 FLHTC and i get about 40-43 mpg hwy...depends what speeds i am riding..

Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In my opinion, you'll never get better mileage than that with a stage 1 download or even a PC or SERT. The object of the stage 1 is to richen the fuel mixture. More fuel in = less MPG.

The only exception would be if the bike was tuned lean in the cruising RPM range. My bike was SERT tuned for power with a level AFR of 13.6 concequently my MPG is around 40 or even less. I have friends with 110s that get better mileage than me. On the other hand, I am extremely happy with the way my bike runs. It pulls hard, runs cool, and the plugs look perfect. I've thought about leaning it out but I just don't want to mess with a good thing.

BTW, my bike was SERT tuned by argualably the best dyno shop in the Northwest . . . Latus Motors in Portland, Oregon. They asked me if I wanted it tuned for power or economy and I chose power.

Just my personal opinions here. I could be wrong . . . tell me if I am.

Steve

Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOTGROWNUP, did you see any difference in seat of the pants power? How about your engine running cooler??

Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
rides99fatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly doubt the dealer's stage 1 map is any different than what comes with the SEST. Therefore more than likely it will still be a lean running map. HD is still has to be compliant with EPA regulations even with stage 1 components. To get a good running stage 1, you would need to have it dyno tuned. I have a '09 SG which I just took a 2500 mile trip with. I have the SE heavy breather and SE Touring pipes with the stage 1 from the SEST. I was doing 70-75 MPH and averaged 42 MPG with two up and 80 lbs of luggage. I had hoped to get better but didn't happen.

As for power, much more noticeable than stock. My buddy has the same bike and compared his stock to my stage 1. His seat of the pants experience was enough that he went out and got the stage 1. I can't really comment on the heat. It was a real problem with it being stock so on the 1K I switched to Amsoil syn and put a oil cooler on. No heat problem now.

Last edited by rides99fatboy; 07-08-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain

I got the Stage-1 on my 09 SG at 1k. The bike runs cooler and I am happy with the performance gain. Before the stage-1 the bike was so hot I was concerned. Bear in mind this was back in March when the temps really were not that bad. I can't imagine riding the bike now that the temps are in the 100's with it leaned out the way it was before the upgrade. I know a couple of people with stock 08's and 09's that have cut back on their riding until they can afford to upgrade or it cools down.

The decision to go with stage-1 was based mostly on what I could afford to spend at the time. When I can afford to install cams I'll buy the SEST and have it dyno tuned.

dave
V&H Oval Slip-Ons
SE Air filter setup
Stage-1

Last edited by EastSideBikerTrash; 07-08-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

so basically on a 09 ya can put on a se airfilter and different pipes without buying a tuner? and just having the dealer flash the bike? I miss my carb,

Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain

Originally Posted by leohd
so basically on a 09 ya can put on a se airfilter and different pipes without buying a tuner? and just having the dealer flash the bike? I miss my carb,
Yep and it cost approx. $120 for the flash.
Dave

Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Ran two yrs with stg 1, and averaged 39-41mpg (2 up) 95%, best of 43.

This spring I added a set of Andrews 26H's and riding the same way, 2 up and the same roads and speeds I'am now getting 41-44mpg and best of 46.5 mph on a 160 round mile trip mostly state roads at 65-70 mph.

before I couldn't use 6th below 70 or so, it just felt like it was lugging and the milage always went down to 38-39.
now with the cams theres a big difference, I can pull even 60mph easy and its smooth.

Quick Reply: Dealer Stage 1???