Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted plastic on pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM
busch
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New razor blade lay flat gently peel off warm pipes up a little works great no scratches

Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 PM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunday pulled a black plastic bag out of saddle bags. I turned to say somrthing and of course bag gets stuck to my pipes. Rode home, got mothers chrome cleaner with pipes still hot, hot. Doubled up a micro-fiber, didn't want to burn hand, rubbed it on, plastic came right off.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:32 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Wife melted about a LB. of her heel onto my pipes one day! Used a wooden paint stick to scrape the majority of it off while hot! Let it cool down, put Acetone on a Doby pad and got the little stuff off!! No harm to the finish at all

Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Ronjo
Cruiser

I've had this happen and just got the pipes good and hot by riding the bike, soaked a towel in hot water and while the towel is good and wet, wiped off the goo while it was also hot. had to rewet the towel a few times to be sure it stayed wet and did not burn. Worked for me!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Scooter308
Cruiser

Had the wife's boots plenty of times, use a razor blade to get the big stuff off, then Magic Eraser with windex, cleans/shines removes.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
pork
Cruiser

I have removed melted plastic (melted micro-fiber towel) from my pipes by scraping with the edge of a credit card, after the pipes are cold. Just angle the card as if you are trying to shave the plastic off the pipe. It came off easily. The card will not harm your pipe. If any marks are left, they will clean off with chrome polish.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a buddy who swears by brass wool, as it is softer than steel wool and won't leave any tiny fragments to rust on/in the surface.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

I have used Flitz polish http://www.flitz.com/ my chrome Python pipes several times and it gets melted plastic off cool pipes in about 5-10 seconds. I have melted my old Military Rain Gear to the pipes, and it takes that off in seconds as well. I apply to COOL pipes with a paper towel and just rub, some times I have to do two applications.

I use Flitz to do trigger polishing jobs on my Glocks, and tried it on the pipes one day - It works awesome, and instantly. For real stubborn stuff I use a polishing pad on my Dremel tool.

So far I have removed melted plastic bags, melted rain gear, melted boot heal, melted tennis shoe bottom, black marks that I have no idea what caused them. No harm to finish. I have even used it to just clean the pipes, Clutch & brake levers, polish the tripple tree - hell anything I need to clean or polish - it just flat out works, plus it has a protector in it that protects & seals the metal you polish.

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 07-08-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by paguy
Sunday pulled a black plastic bag out of saddle bags. I turned to say somrthing and of course bag gets stuck to my pipes. Rode home, got mothers chrome cleaner with pipes still hot, hot. Doubled up a micro-fiber, didn't want to burn hand, rubbed it on, plastic came right off.
micro-fiber will melt on a hot pipe ask me how I know

Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Easy off on a rag on warm pipes worked great for me. Also 0000 steel wool.

Quick Reply: Melted plastic on pipes