Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Frame Letter

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Broken Frame Letter

Attention: Harley Davidson Motor Company
3700 W. Juneau Avenue Milwaukee, WI 53208
Phone: 414.343.4056 Fax: 414.343.8358

Cc: San Jose Harley Davidson
1551 Parkmoor Ave San Jose CA 95128
Phone: 408-998-1464 Fax: 408-995-6676

REFERENCE: 1002586 VIN# 1HD1FC4369Y650232

I would first like to thank you all in your quick response, in regards to the Broken Frame on my FLHTCU – Electra Glide Ultra Classic.

I would like to thank Harley Davidson Motor Co. for the following commitments given to me by John M on 7.7.2009;

Replacing: Frame and Swing Arm - Due to Factory Error

Loaner: 2009 FLHTCU - 7.9.2009 through 7.22.2009 – trip with my daughter - www.trackadaptor.com

Commitment: Return my bike 7.31.2009 or sooner for my trip to Sturgis

MY REQUEST;

A letter from Harley Davidson Motor Co. fully acknowledging and supporting San Jose Harley in Disassembling and Reassembling my FLHTCU - VIN# 1HD1FC4369Y650232.

In the letter it needs to state that in the event (God Forbid) San Jose Harley should change ownership or go out of business that Harley Davidson Motor Co. will assume all warranty and liability as out lined in Harley Davidson Motor Co. 2 year factory warranty.

For the parts being replaced: Frame and Swing Arm -I would like to see in the letter a statement that Harley Davidson Motor Co. will extended the factory 2 year warranty from the date I pick up the bike.

SAFETY, I ride this bike 70% with a passenger and 20% of this time is spent with my 11
year old daughter – Delainey, on the back of the bike.

I have owned this bike for just over 90 days, and fully understand to error is human, I will be honest and will have to say that there will always be that concern – are we sure 100% of all the fasteners, nuts and bolts were tightened to the Factory Specification and did Harley Davidson Motor Co. allow enough time for the Reassembling of the bike, so that the technician and SJH were not rushed to complete their job and still make some profit.

This entire matter does not sit well with me, I have been riding motorcycles since I was 10 years of age, raced for Team Can-Am (1975 – 1977) and Team Wheel Smith Maico (1977 – 1980) , I have seen what happens when a bike is not put together correctly, have seen my friends get hurt and seen death.

Will I ever be comfortable on this motorcycle – honestly no.

It started out as a GAS TANK REPLACEMENT and now the bike will be Disassembled and Reassembled – not at the factory.

I really need for Harley Davidson Motor Co. to fully understand my concerns, and God forbid anything should happen that hurts my daughter as a result of the Disassembling and Reassembling of the bike, please do not think that I would sit idle, should the worst ever happen.

Thanks again for the response to date, I look forward to actually seeing the commitments come true:

Vincent , Vickie and Delainey
Dated: 7.8.2009

Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Certified Drunk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice letter,
I would get rid of it when you get it back, get a new 2010

Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A bit of a veiled threat at the end......will be interesting to see if it works.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice letter...and i feel for your concerns about the bike once it is complete....but the question you have to ask yourself is the shop that is doing it....what is there come back rate....and do you trust them........those are the questions you have to ask your self before you can trust the bike when it is back together.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure going thru something like this would not sit well with me either. Sorry to hear that you have to be dealing with it too.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd be a little nervous having someone put stuff back together on my bike that he might never have done before and screws it up. It's a valid point in the letter. Would be interesting if the MOCO sent a tech from the factory to supervise the reassembly.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, trade it.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the wheels won't fall off the new one.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:51 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well not to **** anyone off but its a nice letter but..... I see no reason to get excited about the bike being put back together properly. I may ask that I be compensated a couple hours for going over the bike in my garage after I got it home to check all the fasteners but then again maybe not... The dealer seems to be bending over backwards so why keep making a big deal out of this. Its only a big deal if they bull $hit you and dont follow thru on the promises. My honest opinion here is the owner just wants a new bike . This one must have a scratch on it somewhere or he decided he didnt like the color anymore ... Remember my post on the other thread. Even though its a frame its still a warranty issue and the fact that the frame can be replaced doesn't mean they owe you a new bike.. Harley has big lawyers and a lot of money so be careful..
Good Luck ..

Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Certified Drunk
Nice letter,
I would get rid of it when you get it back, get a new 2010
If you are going to get rid of it cut a deal with the dealer NOW for trade value. 2010's are only a few weeks away or trade for a new 2009. Let the dealer/Harley handle the liability/decreased value of this repaired/reassembled bike going forward.

Full disclosure regarding the history of the bike is going to make it difficult to complete a private sale.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As soon as I got it back I'd definitely DUMP IT! I totally agree with your comments concerning your uneasy feelings about having the bike disassembled then reassembled by some place other than the factory. As we all know some of the "techs" at some of the dealers aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree. There would be NO compromise where my loved ones are concerned. Now I'm not saying that the job wouldn't be done right, just that personally I wouldn't trust the bike anymore. It's gonna cost you some bucks but, in the long run, I believe the peace of mind would be worth it (at least it would be to me if I were in the same situation). Just my . Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Broken Frame Letter