Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Frame Letter

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to be the naysayer but your letter means nothing. You agreed with the dealer to a compensation when you had the right to demand a new bike if you so chose (not that you would have gotten it but you could have at least requested it through the proper channels). You did not demand a new bike and accepted the verbal terms of a loaner and having your current bike fixed.

Given the above I am not sure what purpose the letter serves...well I know WHY you wrote it but I don't see it being useful.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Originally Posted by Intrepid175
The OP is wondering how he can be sure that everything is reassembled 100% perfectly.Steve R.
How can you be sure it's assembled at the factory correctly?
You can't, as evidenced by this warranty claim...or the millions of recalls around the world every year by automobile manufacturers.
I believe I said that. To quote all of the paragraph you edited from instead of just one sentence!
The OP is wondering how he can be sure that everything is reassembled 100% perfectly. It's sad to say, he can't, and the MoCo can't make that kind of guaranty. If they could, he wouldn't be having the frame problem in the first place and the MoCo wouldn't even have to offer a warranty because if perfection existed, there'd be no need for one.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe I said that. To quote all of the paragraph you edited from instead of just one sentence!
No, you didn't.
You stated "reassembled"
You went on to state that MOCO couldn't guarantee that it'd be "reassembled" correctly, either.

I on the other hand, stated "assembled from the factory"
Meaning MOCO has QC programs in place at their plants, but things do get by the QC Inspectors.

"Assembled from the factory" and "reassembled at a dealership" are world's apart.

I can't help you with comprehension issues.
You'll need to figure that out yourself.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:02 AM
tubeman426
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a motorcycle mechanic my self I would be more concernd about them scratching the paint. As a rule at the places ive worked everything gets an extensive test drive, rules being take it to 100mph, hard cornering and braking making shure everythings ok, any majors ride for half an hour. bring back to shop and check all important componets and fastners. After Im done the service manager goes for a 15min ride to check as well. I was told by the service manager, if you screw up its better you die rather than a customer.
Personally I would be more concernd about getting a tire change on a bike, its a simple everyday operation that a mechanic doesnt give much thought to . When you do a total rebuild your going to double and tripple check everything.
HD is doing what they should, fixing a factory defect.
A collision damaged frame you might have warrented concern and a insurance company would fix the bike if it was cheaper, if you didnt like it too bad.
If HD gives you a new bike, how many more will line up behind you. I dont think it will happen.
My advice to you is if you feel unsafe, take it to another shop when you get it back and have them check it over. The odds are it will be fine.
Like I said a tire change is riskier, they ussally let the apprentices do that.
I wish you luck and hope you are happy with the results.
Ride safe!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:11 AM
azharleyrider86401
Cruiser

So I now see there are two threads on this same topic and over 300 posts--- wow!!!!! The only other thread's with that many that I can remember are the girl threads and they have been on a lot longer

Old 07-10-2009, 12:29 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that's quite a situation. i'm glad it's not become something that happens to more than the one we're reading about here, but time will tell. it makes me feel good about keeping my antique 08 sg though. with the frame that has stood the test of time. i am kinda surprised that harley didn't just swap you for a new identical bike, although one without the welding issue on the frame. good luck

Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
BCguy
Road Captain

OK, I've been following this topic (both threads) from the beginning and maybe it's just me but I think there has been a huge over reaction to this issue. So one frame out of thousands has a bad weld and the company has offered to fix it and make everything all right. What's the big deal?

Personally, I would never have gone public with this, much less got my insurance company involved unless it looked like the moco was NOT going to back up their product (which it appears that the are).

There was a problem; it's getting fixed; end of story.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
toastedoat
Cruiser

There is no way I would put either my wife or my 11 year old on that bike. Nor would I take it back - credit for what you paid towards a new machine should be what you get (maybe if not from just common decency then under the lemon law or something?), and the dealer should step up and send the bike back to the factory and use it as a quality control lesson to the workers.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

A very good friend of mine had his fatboy completely disassembled and reassembled on a new frame from the factory. Same vin number as the neck was cut from the "old" frame and stamped on the "new" frame.

I've ridden the bike many miles before and after. It actually feels tighter (and rattles less) since the new frame.

As long as the mechanic is competent, it'll be good as new.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey its your bike,do what your gut tells ya. If you have a good dealer and the MOCOs backing then some answers you already have. This guys bike might be the only one but in most cases others exist. Lets hope not! The word is out and HOPEFULLY hds eyes were opened and passing the info and such to other dealers. You sir might have saved your life,your familys and maybe more. File with the NHTSA about the frame.

Quick Reply: Broken Frame Letter