Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Frame Letter

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would'nt get too **** about it. There are alot of techs out there who ride, and are just like you, diligent, honest and competent.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What ?

Originally Posted by patsac
broken frame? where was it broke at? a missing weld? how does a broken frame come out of the factory with out someone seeing it? was it broke from the factory or did it break after you bought it?
give us something to look for and good luck to you
Read my Thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...09-flhtcu.html

Last edited by trackadaptor; 06-29-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Cool Nice

Originally Posted by n8dc
You guys crack me up ..Its all... if it was me all i want is 8 years of warranty and a new Lamborghini if you replace the frame or a new 2010.. Or its dump it? Why ? there isnt anything wrong with it other than a frame defect and thats easily fixed!.. The guy just has it in his head at this point thats he is better than anyone else and he wants a new bike period.. Im sorry and flame me if you must but the safety issue is b/s at this point.. No one injured no deaths end of subject.. Im thinking he needs to sell the damn thing after its fixed (thats where im putting my money) and get a dam honda ! ... Im waiting to see what h/d says my self . ?

"Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far." I think my letter follows this pretty close.

If Harley really wants to stand by this bike, then put it in writing or give me a new bike.

I never got the chance to ask for a new bike, my dealer did, my dealer is pushing the issue.

I have never ever let a dealer do a oil change, wheel / tire replacement, and I hate it when I have a warranty issue that I have to take it back to them. Just old school - Maico Rider
SJH understands this.. they hate it $$$$$ but make up for it in my purchase of parts :-)

I owned a 2002 Goldwing sold it at 140,000 miles in 2007 and PU a 2007 FLHX
Yes, had ECM Recalled at 2,500 miles and Re-Call Frame Welded at 10,000 miles and I knew/know the welder that did the work - good friend of mine...

Never did Honda completely have the bike 100% in parts at a dealer.

Wrote the same similar letter to Honda, it's called CYA

If I get hurt I want to make sure I have somebody to go after, if the dealer goes under, then what ? I think I have tried to cover that in my letter.

My father was a Air Force mech. from 1956 - 1960 I must have over 7,000 tools and know how to work on a M/C and all my cars / trucks and my camper...

But, I am in Printed Circuit Manufacturing and do not have the credencials to build back my own bike... but if I had.....

I am just letting you all know what happen , what I have done.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I certainly understand you wanting the bike replaced and not repaired since it's only 90 days old. I would feel the same way but let me try to put your mind at ease just a little bit. When my bike was fairly new it was involved in an accident. The frame, outer fairing, gas tank and left saddle bag were replace. That means the the entire bike was disassembled and rebuilt at the dealership. A few years and about 18,000 miles have passed and no issues regarding the rebuild have cropped up.
Ride safe!

Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm with you....but I'd want a Ferrari and a smokin' hot babe to be my personal slave! Hell, after that I'd be too busy with other things to even care if the bike ran or was even fixed.

Originally Posted by n8dc
You guys crack me up ..Its all... if it was me all i want is 8 years of warranty and a new Lamborghini if you replace the frame or a new 2010.. Or its dump it? Why ? there isnt anything wrong with it other than a frame defect and thats easily fixed!.. The guy just has it in his head at this point thats he is better than anyone else and he wants a new bike period.. Im sorry and flame me if you must but the safety issue is b/s at this point.. No one injured no deaths end of subject.. Im thinking he needs to sell the damn thing after its fixed (thats where im putting my money) and get a dam honda ! ... Im waiting to see what h/d says my self . ?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The frame is being replaced....not repaired. How can you expect harley to essentially replace every part because one was defective. If that were the case, they would be exchanging bikes for new ones left and right. Point is, the other parts are fine and the techs tear down and repair bikes every day.

Seems I would have a lot more faith in that than Honda re welding their frame regardless of who did it. If you don't trust the workmanship, then get rid of the bike and get something else.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chieffieldeng
I have to agree with you, you aren't a nice guy. Sound like pretty much of an a$$hole to me.
Then you buy it and ride it. Haul your family around on it, enjoy it. BTW, dipshit...you don't know me but my friends (and believe it or not I do have a few) always seem to like my "tell it like it is" attitude. At least I have the stones to say what others are thinking and not continually trying to be politically correct. Sorry if I offended your delicate feelings.

Last edited by hawg08; 07-08-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have a problem with a frame change. Nothing on a Harley is rocket science . A bigger issue is all the fasteners will be more prone to rusting from additional tool marks and how many more scratches will appear in some of the components that were not there before, just from the extra handling. Bottom line is you will have a lesser than new looking bike, but with a crack free frame. Make a list with the dealer to show existing blemishes prior to work. This way you are covered when new ones appear for some strange reason.
Ron

Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Cool What letter did you read ?

Originally Posted by carpetride
The frame is being replaced....not repaired. How can you expect harley to essentially replace every part because one was defective. If that were the case, they would be exchanging bikes for new ones left and right. Point is, the other parts are fine and the techs tear down and repair bikes every day. Seems I would have a lot more faith in that than Honda re welding their frame regardless of who did it. If you don't trust the workmanship, then get rid of the bike and get something else.

Where do I ask for a new bike ?

I am asking for a letter and a 90 extension for the 2 parts that are being replaced.

What letter did you read ??

MY REQUEST;

A letter from Harley Davidson Motor Co. fully acknowledging and supporting San Jose Harley in Disassembling and Reassembling my FLHTCU - VIN# 1HD1FC4369Y650232.

In the letter it needs to state that in the event (God Forbid) San Jose Harley should change ownership or go out of business that Harley Davidson Motor Co. will assume all warranty and liability as out lined in Harley Davidson Motor Co. 2 year factory warranty.

For the parts being replaced: Frame and Swing Arm -I would like to see in the letter a statement that Harley Davidson Motor Co. will extended the factory 2 year warranty from the date I pick up the bike.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't trust a H-D tech to replace a leaking main shaft seal, let alone do a frame swap. Get rid of it ASAP.

Quick Reply: Broken Frame Letter