Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Frame Letter

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also be worried about the "diminished value" of the bike if all they are willing to do is to replace the frame. Seems like the moco should compensate you for this diminished value as well, most insurance companies have diminished value allowances for autos that have been involved n wrecks.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Rhetor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heartbreaking . . . I would have like to have seen HD offer you a 2010 with you paying the difference in cost from the 09 . . .

For all those saying to "dump it" . . . dump it on who? Maybe put on a solo seat and only sell it to a senior with no spouse or kids or grandkids so there would be fewer to grieve? (Sarcasm intended).

If HD took it back . . . and then resold it with a salvage title, that would be fair . . . that would be full disclosure to anyone who bought it next time or down the line.

But this will never be recorded with insurance or on carfax . . . the problem will never be disclosed without a salvage retitle . . . which will not happen because it is a warranty repair . . . should be treated like a salvage by HD . . . but won't happen . . .

I am keeping the vin on hand in case I buy another pre-owned bike . . .

For those who think it is no big deal to swap our a frame . . . you buy it and ride it . . . oh, and, put your kid on the back when you do.

No matter how it is sliced . . . this really should be determined to be a salvage bike.

Just my $00.02

Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Diminished value? There is no frame straightening or bondo or re-painting involved. I don't see a frame swap as causing a loss in value.

It is a fairly straight forward and simple frame swap. Which is better, an assembly line where numerous workers are involved or a HD tech overseeing the job from start to finish.

I can understand the obvious frustration but I don't see this as a safety problem. The only caveat I may have is for him to be careful with negative publicity. It sounds as if "Mother Harley" and the dealership are doing their best to keep him happy.

I hope you get what you're asking for but.......

Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhetor
For all those saying to "dump it" . . . dump it on who?
I'm not that nice a guy. I wouldn't care who got it as long as I got rid of it.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, as long as there is no insurance claim submitted to an insurance company. There will be record other that at HD that the frame was exchanged for a new one. Will be listed at HD as warranty replacement that is all. If you can and someone does run a carfax on the vin# it will come back no accidents or claims. I agree also, about feeling unsecure about riding it, I can guarantee you if it was mine and I took it back, everytime it acted the least bit funny or things quit working back it would go. I think I would just go ahead and talk to the dealer about trading it now. Let them worry about the resale and fixing it.

Joe

Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

What a lousy problem to have with a new bike. As for the letter, if it's been sent already there isn't much reason to comment.

Why not phone HD corporate? You can probably get a person to call if you ask the dealer and go up the MOCO foodchain till you find a satisfactory solution.

You might consider making the following points:

1. While the MOCO is accepting responsibility, the right solution is to replace you Ultra because: (a) the bike should never have left York in the first place; (b) bikes needing a frame replacement usually involve an accident are usually "totalled" and dealership service personnel, therefore, almost never have to do a total bike disassembly/reassembly; (c) it's unrealistic to expect that the bike can be reassembled in a dealership with the same skill and precision (torqued fasteners, electrical lines run and secured, etc.) as it would be on initial assembly at the factory; (d) warranty repairs are typically assigned to the least experienced tech and MOCO reimbursement to the dealership is at below retail rates for the labor; (e) the Ultra is the most complex (features and associated components and wiring) bike sold by MOCO increasing the probability that it won't be assembled correctly; and, (f) the bike's normal fair market value has been severely diminished by the above.

IMO, spending time talking or writing about MOCO "support" for San Jose HD and extending the 2-year warranty for the replacement frame and swingarm BEFORE making the points for a new, replacement Ultra diminishes your effort to get what you really want which is a new Ultra. Besides, the warranty is the MOCO's responsibility, not the dealership's, and an HD store is going to be tasked with doing warranty repair work regardless of who owns the store.

Hope you resolve this to your satisfaction.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see a very valid point about fasteners tightened to factory spec. I have gotten many auto repairs back where I needed a breaker bar to get bolts off. I must say I do not have any experience with motorcycle repair shops or any HD service shops. I do know if a tech is "productive" a torque wrench is in a very dusty box in their tool box.
Hell I use my torque wrench to put my lug nuts on........... Yes, I beleive in doing things right every time.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
bosco 09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
A bit of a veiled threat at the end......will be interesting to see if it works.
no kidding, give the factory/dealer a chance to make it right. it's in everyones best interest to fix this properly and they will.
my bike was as good or better after the frame replacement no issues in 6 years of ridding. too many drama queens here.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just as long as the technicians putting it back together doesn't have a hangover and are committed in workmanship.i had a 06 sg that was involved in a accident and the frame was to be replaced and this was going thru my head.riding is hard enough in NJ i don't want to be worried if the swing arm was tighten correctly.so with that in mind i traded it in for a 08 egc.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:49 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The next time I need tires or brake pads, I'm just gonna trade in my bike.

How do I know the tech reinstalled my axles and wheels correctly?
How do I know the calipers are put on right.
I know for certain I'm not gonna let them change my brake fluid.
That would be suicide.

And replacing seals or bearings or God forbid a drive belt. Forget It!

Quick Reply: Broken Frame Letter