Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Internal Wiring Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it with chrome bars and painted inner fairing ect all at the same time.... I like the clean look

Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Greaseball
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the wires in the bars when I swapped my Road Glide handlebars out for some Wild1 575 bars. It was easy, it really did not add substantial time to the swap. And the end result looks great.

The Wild1 bars are set up to run the wires internally. The bars are drilled beneath the hand controls for the wires. The stock handlebars are not drilled in these two areas.

Bottom line.....if you are keeping the stock handlebars then your stuck with external wires. If you swap out the handlebars and the new bars are set up to run the wires internally then go for it!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Aces Full
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input. This whole handlebar swap has me kind of nervous because:

A: It's an expensive proposition, unless you're handy enough to do all the wrenching yourself, which I'm not....and then you have to HOPE you've accomplished what you were aiming for. There's simply no way to know if you're going to like the end result. I've read so many posts where people have had the install done, and they're not happy with the riding geometry.

B: Virtually every single bar I've researched for my '09 Ultra has had conflicting advice on what has to be swapped out, what lengths, what stays.

I thought I was going to get the Wild 1 WO575B, but then I hear from some that the added width of the bars negates the extra pullback.
I then thought I'd get the HD pullbacks, and I hear wrist position is a bummer.

All I know is, this is my 3rd Ultra, and I never gave a thought to switching bars until this one, as I find myself too far from the grips.

What to do?????

Old 07-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Wild 1 WO575B on my second bike. Mine you didn't have a choice, you had to internal wire it because of the dimple or no dimple situation. I have never heard anyone who didn't like the wrist position on it.

But I have never heard anyone say that they liked the wrist position on the Harley Pull Backs.

People seem to love their Pullback Sweepers. Start another thread about pullback bars, they will come out of the woodwork.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Greaseball
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my WO575 bars. There isn't that much differnce in the width that would negate the pullback of the bars. Plus, I found that I could pull the bars back to the exact position that I wanted before I tightened up the handlebar clamps. I think these are very versatile bars. No need to change any of the cables, either.

Toughest part of the swap was removing/replacing the ignition switch. Follow the HD shop manual and the entire swap should be feasible.

Go for it!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer

I wouldn't attempt it because I'm not that handy/savvy but if I could do all the stuff myself that I wanted to do, nothing would go undone! I say go for it if you're able then it will be done and you won't be looking at it second guessing yourself later.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Do current models have a different suspension system?
Yes, no more air assist.

Originally Posted by Rlandis

Thanks for all the input. This whole handlebar swap has me kind of nervous because:

A: It's an expensive proposition, unless you're handy enough to do all the wrenching yourself, which I'm not....and then you have to HOPE you've accomplished what you were aiming for. There's simply no way to know if you're going to like the end result. I've read so many posts where people have had the install done, and they're not happy with the riding geometry.

B: Virtually every single bar I've researched for my '09 Ultra has had conflicting advice on what has to be swapped out, what lengths, what stays.

I thought I was going to get the Wild 1 WO575B, but then I hear from some that the added width of the bars negates the extra pullback.
I then thought I'd get the HD pullbacks, and I hear wrist position is a bummer.

All I know is, this is my 3rd Ultra, and I never gave a thought to switching bars until this one, as I find myself too far from the grips.

What to do?????
Look at other people's bars and ask them if you can sit on their scoot or whatnot. Me personally, I love my Khromewerks sweepers.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a picture of the stock bars -

Here is a picture with the Wild1's 575s -

The size of the new bars, the chrome of the new bars, and the clean look with no wires showing makes it worth it. Not to mention how much more comfortable I am with the added pullback and width of the bars.

Steve

Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 PM
timvan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Worth it? I'd say no. But I did it anyway.

The "Painted Inner Fairing" is a huge difference, that you look at the entire time you are on your bike. It's the 3rd biggest thing on your bike, after the wheels and the front of the fairing.

I do think a "Chrome Inner Fairing" that you speak of, is a tad much though. LOL
Sorry Chrome parts OR a painted inner fairing!

that would be a bit much, and blinding at best!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:10 PM
timvan
Road Warrior

And the 575's are the way to go! very comfy...id like something more radical, but I wont give up the comfort of my 575's

Quick Reply: Is Internal Wiring Worth It?