Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obsessed with cleaning/polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 AM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Obsessed with cleaning/polishing?

Ok, first to admit that I hate a dirty bike. Makes me crazy to see dust and bug crap on the fairing. So, I guess I pretty much clean the bike after each ride. Don't really go hog wild, usually use one of the California dusters and then spray cleaner. And my bikes mostly stock. I can't imagine having a custom paint job and chromed out bike. Would drive me nuts trying to clean the damn thing all the time. Anyone else out there obsessed with cleaning and polishing your bike?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:47 AM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started off that way, but I ride too much to keep it clean for any amount of time so I've gotten away from expecting clean and settled for "protected". I do a thorough bucket wash a couple times per season then clean with Pledge probably once per week the rest of the year. Water beads and rust doesn't appear to be a problem....which is good enough for me now.

Less time cleaning = more time for riding.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 AM
locodude
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work next to a peanut processing plant so after every ride to work I come out to a bike coated in peanut dust which has just enough oil in it to not blow off and streak is "dusted" off with one of those dusters so my bike is washed about 3-5 times a week. It is a labor of love though I really do hate a dirty bike.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I got my First Softail, I probably spent more time polishing it than riding it, now with the Ultra, I just clean it when it really needs it. Mostly the fairing and lowers because they are covered in bugs.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Obsession

Yea I know what you mean,when I had the black 07 UC it drove me nuts but I'm a lot saner now with the white and silver.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:35 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Yeah, I'm that way too. Don't really like all the cleaning, but really like the results.

This is the LAST black bike I'll ever own!!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can never find the right time to wash -- if the weather is nice, I just ride. When I get home, the bike is too hot. Maybe I'll wash it in the rain.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaHag
Started off that way, but I ride too much to keep it clean for any amount of time so I've gotten away from expecting clean and settled for "protected". I do a thorough bucket wash a couple times per season then clean with Pledge probably once per week the rest of the year. Water beads and rust doesn't appear to be a problem....which is good enough for me now.

Less time cleaning = more time for riding.
I agree with the hag...used to but not so much anymore, I'd rather ride.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Yep, I'll admit must be an OCD thing. Black looks like crap dirty but when it's clean, it's the fastest thing on two wheels.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Bikerdad61
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose I'm obsessed with keeping mine spotless also, but to me It's part of the fun of owning it. And YES, it does get ridden, many weekends 300-500 miles. I usually do my cleaning on a weekday eve. Great time to sip a cold one and make the chrome shine!

Quick Reply: Obsessed with cleaning/polishing?