Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with headlight modulators

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
bosco 09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used the Kriss modulator and the brake light flashers for the last 6 years highly recommend them. www.kriss.com

Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Scuse my ignorance but how exactly do these modulators install??? Are they strictly plug n play??? And do they affect the life of the bulb at all???

Old 07-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

I have one from Diamond Star. Im convinced these things work. Any advantage to get peoples attention, is a good thing.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:11 AM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,773 Likes on 468 Posts

I have the Kriss on both headlight and brake light. I agree that it will not protect you 100% of the time, but it will 99% of the time. Anybody that doesn't think they help is an idiot. Put a bike with one and one without one about 100 yards away from yourself and look in the opposite direction from them. Then, just glance their way for about 1 -2 seconds and see which light you notice more. I wouldn't be without one. I still watch at every intersection and all, but I know I'm seen. I also have the MOTO LIGHTS up front and they help a ton I'm sure. The combination of BOTH can't be beat. I look at the cagers and they are STARING at me when I go by.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1badbagger
I have the Kriss on both headlight and brake light. I agree that it will not protect you 100% of the time, but it will 99% of the time. Anybody that doesn't think they help is an idiot. Put a bike with one and one without one about 100 yards away from yourself and look in the opposite direction from them. Then, just glance their way for about 1 -2 seconds and see which light you notice more. I wouldn't be without one. I still watch at every intersection and all, but I know I'm seen. I also have the MOTO LIGHTS up front and they help a ton I'm sure. The combination of BOTH can't be beat. I look at the cagers and they are STARING at me when I go by.
I had one on my 08' RG and have put one on my 09' SERG. On the RG they are outstanding because of the double headlights. My buddy has one on his Ultra and I don't think it is as visible but it is still much better. One week after getting my SERG I had a guy do a U-turn in front of me and I missed him by 4 inches. I had not yet installed the modulator on that bike. I am convinced he would have seen me if I would have had the modulator. An added feature is that people think you are a LEO and pull over to let you pass all the time. Just kidding, acyually it is annoying to me when people slow down and pull over but oh well. One time in the mountains in Arkansas I came around a corner and met some old folks that almost wrecked their car trying to get off the road with no shoulder. T.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 AM
UALCapt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Kisan head and tail-light combo and love them. Anything to make me more visible to a Buick is a good thing! I also retained the police wig-wag feature on my passing lamps (although white lenses). I throw these on when approaching congestion. I'm thinking of putting white strobes on as well. As far as I'm concerned, I can't be "too" visible!!

You will still get the occasional idiot who pulls in front of you, but I've noticed that the modulator makes a definite difference.

Last edited by UALCapt; 07-09-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 PM
bosco 09
Tourer

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Scuse my ignorance but how exactly do these modulators install??? Are they strictly plug n play??? And do they affect the life of the bulb at all???
plug and play and they actually increase the life of the bulbs/lamps. their website explains all of it. www.kriss.com

Old 07-09-2009, 06:11 PM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a headlight modulator on my previous bike but not this one.

The first time that I used the modulator on a two lane highway, I had on coming traffic pulling over to the side of the road. Once I figured out why, I decided to use it only when coming to highway intersections where I had the right of way and if there was cross traffic. The problem with using it this way was that it took the modulator a second or two before it would start modulating plus my reaction time. You cover a lot of feet in that second or two which reduces the effectiveness of the modulator.

If you leave the modulator on all of the time, you run the risk of irritating some irrational fool.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
bosco 09
Tourer

if someone doesn't know the rules of the road as to which emergency/color lights they are required to pull over for then to bad i would rather be safe. btw if they're that stupid then it's better they do pull over.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:56 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 172 Likes on 126 Posts

So far with mine I've seen no adverse affects on cagers, I leave mine on most of the time. No one has acted as if they should pull over or anything like that.

Quick Reply: My experience with headlight modulators