Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service myth

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 1000 mile service myth

I think I remember reading somewhere in the owners manual that you must have the 1000 mile service done at an authorized HD dealer to honor any future warranty claims. From what I remember it only said that for the 1000 mile service.
I am very close and dont want to screw up my warranty. I have a garage full of Amsoil. If this is true I will see if the dealer can use my Amsoil. Anyone in the Southern Jersey, PA, Delaware area know the cheapest dealer to get this done at that will actually use my oil and not just keep it and say they did?

Old 07-07-2009, 06:28 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think that is possible due to Magnuson/Moss Act that says proper maintenance can be done by anybody and cannot be a condition of the warranty.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can't make you do it at the dealership. Just keep receipts and records and you will be fine.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:48 AM
08roadglidejoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure Amsoil would be happy to help you get a warranty claim handled if HD tried to void your warranty for using Amsoil.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:00 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

You can have your bike serviced anywhere. Keep your records and you'll be fine.
As for the 1,000 miles check-up, I always wondered why people accept to pay for it when the dealer already charged them for prep when the bike was delivered. Talk about double dipping. I can understand paying for an oil change, but as far as tightening bolts and stuff, sorry but that's what prep is all about.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If I do it all myself, I will not have any receipts. I will have to look through my manual. I know for a fact it said it in my 07 Softail manual.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

You don't need to take it to the dealer for service.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Google the Magnusson/Moss act and you will see that it is impossible for them to insist that they must do the service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 AM
artt
Cruiser

I also believe that you are able to do all services yourself and still be fine with your warranty. The Magnuson Moss act provides for you to be able to select your service person even if that person is you and still be protected under your warranty.

Having said that. My friend, was the salesman who sold me the bike, pointed out that having the 1000 mi service done by the dealership established a baseline that the moco couldn't and wouldn't argue with, should any manufacturing defects be discovered at that time. Manufacturing defects generally show earlier than later when wear and tear can become a factor. I thought that was a good idea and that's why I had my 1000 mi service done by the dealer. I generally have the 10k mi service done by the dealer because I like a second set of eyes looking at my bike and I think the mechanics are pretty good. I always check behind them and to date haven't found anything to complain about.

Just remember you only have the rights your willing to fight for and that generally cost's money.

Last edited by artt; 07-07-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
BevoJoe
Intermediate

if you are intent on having the dealer do the work, you can provide your own oil. also, my dealer carries Amsoil as well...just ask. that is if you want the dealership to charge you $90/hour for stuff that you can do with the service manual. just keep your receipts to prove you bought the right chit in case you have a warranty claim and they give you a hard time.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service myth