Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service myth

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I specifically asked the dealer when I bought my new ride if I can do my own service. They're response was yes but you must keep receipts and document your procedures.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by brihvac
I have no problem doing it myself.
Is anyone near there owners manual and can check? I dont care about the Magnuson Moss act. If it says it in your manual, and you have an issue, you will not have a leg to stand on. My bike is 40 miles away and I wont be there till Sunday, otherwise I would look in my manual.
The Magnuson-Moss Warrant Act is a federal law, and as such, will have more weight than something listed in a service manual. Just something to keep in mind.

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You can have your bike serviced anywhere. Keep your records and you'll be fine.
As for the 1,000 miles check-up, I always wondered why people accept to pay for it when the dealer already charged them for prep when the bike was delivered. Talk about double dipping. I can understand paying for an oil change, but as far as tightening bolts and stuff, sorry but that's what prep is all about.
So frenchbiker, do you think that bolts don't loosen up, especially on a brand new vehicle? Add to that how much Harley's (even newer ones) vibrate, the initial prep really has very little to do with needing to check it again at 1000 miles (and periodically).

Old 07-07-2009, 11:59 PM
limj23
Cruiser

just picked up a 09 ultra and have 5 other bikes in the stable, sportbikes, harleys and custom choppers. I do all maintenance myself and JMO but first of all you guys talk like the harley techs are world class surgeons or something. You know how many times I and other folks have gotten their bikes back molested and even damaged from clowns in the shop. now secondly if a dealer is going to get reimbursed on a warranty claim from the factory that means business to him why the fuuuk would he dispute and try to deny you because of a 1K mile service technicality????? really cmon guys get real.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by limj23
just picked up a 09 ultra and have 5 other bikes in the stable, sportbikes, harleys and custom choppers. I do all maintenance myself and JMO but first of all you guys talk like the harley techs are world class surgeons or something. You know how many times I and other folks have gotten their bikes back molested and even damaged from clowns in the shop. now secondly if a dealer is going to get reimbursed on a warranty claim from the factory that means business to him why the fuuuk would he dispute and try to deny you because of a 1K mile service technicality????? really cmon guys get real.
Funny you say that, outside of my first bike (Buell, had that service plan thing on it), I don't think I've taken any of my other bikes to a dealer for work (luckily I haven't had an warranty items either). I do take them to indy's though, mainly because I'm lazy and don't have the patience for my own maintenance.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Scoot
I specifically asked the dealer when I bought my new ride if I can do my own service. They're response was yes but you must keep receipts and document your procedures.
Your dealer gave you a totally accurate response.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Don W.
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
I don't think that is possible due to Magnuson/Moss Act that says proper maintenance can be done by anybody and cannot be a condition of the warranty.

Yep!! +1

Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 PM
CW4_131A
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Penny wise and pound foolish is still a great saying.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Don W.
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CW4_131A

Certainly don't disagree with that........, but to pay a pimply faced 19 year old $50 in labor to change my oil, not to mention a premium price for the HD "dinosaur" oil..............thanks, but no thanks....I'll do it myself!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:48 PM
limj23
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CW4_131A

your assuptions of the qaulity of HD techs may end up being Pound foolish for you. I remember The owner of a Illinois Harley dealer had his guys put in a 6 speed upgrade in 2003 so he can ride out to sturgis and the guy didnt even make it 50 miles before konking out. Now this was the owner of the dealership where do you think you stand??

Old 07-10-2009, 03:50 PM
widowmaker22
Novice

You don't have to let the dealer do the 100 mile service.It says something in the manual about recommending your authorized dealer but that a competent person can perform the service as well.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service myth