Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service myth

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BevoJoe
if you are intent on having the dealer do the work, you can provide your own oil. also, my dealer carries Amsoil as well...just ask. that is if you want the dealership to charge you $90/hour for stuff that you can do with the service manual. just keep your receipts to prove you bought the right chit in case you have a warranty claim and they give you a hard time.
I have no problem doing it myself.
Is anyone near there owners manual and can check? I dont care about the Magnuson Moss act. If it says it in your manual, and you have an issue, you will not have a leg to stand on. My bike is 40 miles away and I wont be there till Sunday, otherwise I would look in my manual.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 AM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

the only way they can force you to do it at the dealer or it voids your warranty is if they do it for free, and we all know thats never going to happen.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do all my own services except tire changes.
My HD dealer gives 20% off accessories for 90 days after bike purchase. But my next
closest HD dealer offers "FREE" maintenance (fluids and labor) with free bike pickup and dropoff too.
I upgraded my latest Road Glide with $3000 of HD stuff, if I didn't do the service work.....the dealer with
free maintenance would of got my business.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

here is what it says in my 07 manual:

It is the owners responsibility to follow the scheduled mileage intervals as specified; all of the specified maintenance services must be performed to keep your warranty valid
it then goes on to say to schedule an appt with hd before you've ridden 1000 miles, and to have the dealer sign your owners manual, and to keep receipts for parts, etc..... which of course they want you to have the dealership do the work, but they do not say that they must do it....

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You can have your bike serviced anywhere. Keep your records and you'll be fine.
As for the 1,000 miles check-up, I always wondered why people accept to pay for it when the dealer already charged them for prep when the bike was delivered. Talk about double dipping. I can understand paying for an oil change, but as far as tightening bolts and stuff, sorry but that's what prep is all about.
the 1000 mile service has nothing to do with dealer prep. things have a way of loosening up and need to be snugged back up. ever notice after you have a tire changed in your car, you're supposed to go back after 500 miles and check the torque on your lug nuts? after you've messed with your exhaust, after a couple hundred miles, you should go back and check the exhaust bolts, and retorque them. its not because anyone is a sloppy, or bad mechanic, but because you want to make sure that it stays tight.

Last edited by skratch; 07-07-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 AM
cbears
Road Warrior

JMO, have the dealer do the first service like they want to. Then do the rest of them yourself. They should use your oil and take the cost for that off the bill. You could even change the oil yourself and just have them do the rest of the stuff. I don't think it's a bad thing to have everything checked over just to make sure.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
I don't think that is possible due to Magnuson/Moss Act that says proper maintenance can be done by anybody and cannot be a condition of the warranty.
They can legally make this requirement, but if they do the service must be free. The last car I bought new had a mandatory 1k-mile first service at the dealer and it was totally free including fluids. Of course you're really paying for it in the base price of the car.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

When I bought my 99 the first service was included in the price at purchase (Fatboy w/exh and a/c installed with ext warr $15.4 otd) They dont do this anymore. Suggestion I would wait until about 5-10k before I switched to Syn. If I were going to use it.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Rick06
Tourer

Change the fluids and filter yourself and let the Dealer do the rest of the 1k service. Just make sure you tell them you just changed them yourself.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 1K service thrown in as a bonus to my purchase, I just wanted the dealer to look everything over and document any issues if needed. I did the 5K and am now quickly approaching the 10K service which I will also do.

I think my deal was more for peace of mind than anything else.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just keep the receipts and record all the things you do to the bike. That will be fine enough.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service myth