Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal controls - why on the right grip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:46 AM
skim1420
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal controls - why on the right grip?

I've recently moved up from a Honda Shadow to my Road King. One of the adjustments I'm not enjoying is the right turn signal control being on the right grip (vs. both on the left grip). I dunno - I think it's a bad design choice.

My right hand's doing a lot as is - and typically I activate the turn signal and accelerate simultaneously, which is now a bit trickier on the Harley. My left hand - now all it does is man the left turn signal, scratch my nose, and do the biker wave thing.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 AM
hogginit
Road Captain
Talking

You might try your clutch once and awhile with your left.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:11 AM
DYNAJoe
Banned

Originally Posted by skim1420
I've recently moved up from a Honda Shadow to my Road King..

My right hand's doing a lot as is - and typically I activate the turn signal and accelerate simultaneously, .

Why do you "activate the turn signal and accelerate"?....NORMAL people slow down after they "activate the turn signal"....
as far as your left hand...this should keep it busy while riding...

Old 07-07-2009, 04:05 AM
harleygeezer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAJoe
Why do you "activate the turn signal and accelerate"?....NORMAL people slow down after they "activate the turn signal"....
as far as your left hand...this should keep it busy while riding...

That was a big change for me also coming from a Road Star Silverado. I accelerate a lot of times while activating the right turn signal when doing a lane change and it does take getting used to.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:11 AM
cfoster80
Tourer

(I think it's a bad design choice.)

Well the designers that choose this did this only about 30 some years ago so i dont think they are taking any complaints or recommendations anymore. Good luck getting used to the change.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

On the contrary, I happen to think it is a great design. Considering many years ago they used a small button (left and right handlebar) that you had to hold down until you completed your turn. Later in the years of Harley turn signal evolution, they made the button bigger, but still had to hold it down. Then we get to todays turn signal, which is a large button, and turns itself off! What an inovation!
Since you chose to ride a foreign machine, you never got to experience this fine evolution. Quit whining and learn it.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think just the opposite. The both signals on one side is a bad design. I did have a few jap bikes in my time and I could never get used to that. Just didn't feel natural. Always going for the side I was turning. I remember one of them was not even a button. It was like a sliding switch that you thumbed forward for right and back for left. That one really sucked.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

For years had to use hand signals and now get complaints about how turn signals are set up .. ROFL

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 07-07-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an interesting article in a back issue of HOG magazine about this and if you go to the MoCo museum in Milwaukee they have have an entire wing dedicated to the controversy surrounding the placement of the turn signals as it was an extreme engineering challenge deciding where to place them. They had designs with both on the right side, both on the left side, the left on the right and the right on the left, and my favorite -- the foot activated turn signals. They finally brought in an expert from a nearby kindergarten and he said "duh - left on the left, right on the right."

You can always rewire them to put them on the left stalk. If you go to all that trouble, be sure to post up a detailed write up. The two other people ON THE PLANET that have the same problem would really appreciate it.

Last edited by KopperTop; 07-07-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

they still make yamahas with the turn signal controls on the left side. i prefer riding a harley, and that's just how harley does it. jap bikes have their place, just not in my garage or under me.

Quick Reply: Turn signal controls - why on the right grip?