Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal controls - why on the right grip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really didn't like having both turn signals on the same switch. And like stated it was wasn't even a button my like a slider thing. I think it makes more sense to have them on the corresponding sides.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 AM
skim1420
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
WOW! For a guy with very few posts, you seem to mention (way too much) how great your Honda Shadow is/was compared to your HD. Wondering why you even bought the thing?
You got me wrong. The Honda is the only point of comparison I have. Hence the things I point out in questions are typically things that are difference from that point of reference. Any adjustment is just that - an adjustment, which is often uncomfortable for a time.

And I'm sure I'll continue to have a number of "compared to my Honda.." questions. No need to see that as bashing my brand new beautiful bike.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:59 AM
cfs754
Cruiser

Twice i've went to honk at someone and wound up with the left turn signal flashing - probably saved me a lot of grief in the end...

Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by jokerx
Is it really that hard to learn? Came off a pasta rocket myself (one button) and found HD's set up rather intuitive...other than occasionally when someone cuts me off I give em an angry left turn signal.
I do that, thats a hoot. And whats funnier is when you let people know you're turning left by giving them the horn... When that happens I just go with the flow and keeping beeping like I ment it the first time, then I'll eye ball someone close by and give them the evil eye like "Yeah, I'm looking at you bud...stay in your lane Hoss..."

Good times.

lp

Last edited by lp; 07-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:42 PM
skim1420
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lp
I do that, thats a hoot. And whats funnier is when you I let people know you're turning left by giving them the horn... When that happens I just go with the flow and keeping beeping like I ment it the first time, then I'll eye ball someone close by and give them the evil eye like "Yeah, I'm looking at you bud...stay in your lane Hoss..."

Good times.

lp
Made me laugh, haha. I had a foreigner friend visit, and he accidentally cut someone off. He flashed the hazards, thinking it's a proper way to apologize to the car behind, while the guy behind thought my friend was being a punk - cut him off and flash him. Lost in translation, I suppose haha.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D2R
I'm good with the turn signals.If I designd the controls I'd have put the cruise control on the left side though.

Agree wholeheartedly with the Cruise thing, but what really got my goat was having to use your right hand to turn ON the cruise button on the fairing cap. You either have to decel when you take your hand off, or reach around the ignition swich with your left hand...

Well, that was an easy change. My cruise power switch is now on the left side of my fairing cap, and I've done 2 other guys switches that way as well. Thats the one complaint about harley ergonomics that I have.

tim

Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 PM
RoyBoy4408
Intermediate

Went for a ride a while back, wasn't planning on being out late. It was mid 70s when we left the house, mid 40s on the way home and I didn't have any poser gloves with me to keep half my fingers warm. By the time we got home, I hit the horn turning onto my road because my damned fingers were so numb. I can't imagine how that ride would have gone if I'd had to work both signals with my frozen left thumb. It would have been a honk at every turn!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:21 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these exclusive to touring bikes?

Old 07-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KopperTop
You can always rewire them to put them on the left stalk. If you go to all that trouble, be sure to post up a detailed write up. The two other people ON THE PLANET that have the same problem would really appreciate it.
LMAO...That's funny

Originally Posted by jokerx
Is it really that hard to learn? Came off a pasta rocket myself (one button) and found HD's set up rather intuitive...other than occasionally when someone cuts me off I give em an angry left turn signal.
I hate that! There are times I just want to lay on the horn because of some dumba$$ cager and end up turning on the left signal!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by gary_montague
Are these exclusive to touring bikes?
why no, all modern harleys have turn signals.....

i know thats not what you meant, just my warped sense of humor.... and no, its pretty standard across the board, right signal, right side. left signal, left side...

Quick Reply: Turn signal controls - why on the right grip?