Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal controls - why on the right grip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I dunno, It took me about...maybe an hour to get used to it after my switch.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skim1420
I've recently moved up from a Honda Shadow to my Road King. One of the adjustments I'm not enjoying is the right turn signal control being on the right grip (vs. both on the left grip). I dunno - I think it's a bad design choice.

My right hand's doing a lot as is - and typically I activate the turn signal and accelerate simultaneously, which is now a bit trickier on the Harley. My left hand - now all it does is man the left turn signal, scratch my nose, and do the biker wave thing.

Skim, if nothing else you learned that you should not bad mouth Harley when you are a new guy.

I road a GW before my Road King and I prefer the left on left and right on right setup.

Enjoy your new Road King I know I do.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Jambon1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does my Harley have a throttle?? Why can't they just put an accelerator pedal down by my right foot like my cage??? I think HD is just trying to f**k with me!!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 AM
D2R
Banned

I'm good with the turn signals.If I designd the controls I'd have put the cruise control on the left side though.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by skim1420

My right hand's doing a lot as is - and typically I activate the turn signal and accelerate simultaneously, which is now a bit trickier on the Harley. My left hand - now all it does is man the left turn signal, scratch my nose, and do the biker wave thing.
what is your right hand doing that is so much more involved than your left? other than the throttle? wait, maybe i don't wanna know

you also forgot to mention your horn button, so now you can man the left turn signal, pick your nose, and beep your horn..... don't worry about clutching, your transmission is tough, it can take it

Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
For years had to use hand signals for years and now get complaints about how turn signals are set up .. ROFL
And bragging on a jap bike at that.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 AM
krussell
Cruiser

Put a few thousand miles on the Harley, then get back on something with the other design. You will think it's messed up and the Harley is brilliant. BTW, BMW has a nice compromise. They have left and right buttons like HD, with a separate cancel button on the right hand side. The BMW auto cancel is time / distance based and does not factor in lean angle. It's pretty useless. So, imagine you have three bikes in the stable, one with the single button solution, one with the three button solution (BMW), and one with a two button solution with brilliant auto cancel. Trust me, the HD solution is the best of all. I'm told the auto cancel based on lean angle is patent protected which is why they are the only ones who have it.

Going back and forth between the BMW and the HD is confusing. I struggle on the BMW because I try to cancel with a second push. That does nothing. Then it's like, oh, BMW, need to cancel with a button, ok. But then I go to cancel the left and end up pushing the horn button because it's in the same place on the left as the cancel button is on the right.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM
jokerx
Banned

Is it really that hard to learn? Came off a pasta rocket myself (one button) and found HD's set up rather intuitive...other than occasionally when someone cuts me off I give em an angry left turn signal.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 AM
cbears
Road Warrior

When I got my first Harley after 25 years of ricers, I had to get used to it. I remember thinking, however, that it made more sense to have the right on the right and the left on the left, I just had to retrain myself. I actually think the ricers have it wrong.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 AM
htc
Tourer

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
If this is your only complaint ,you're going to love your new Harley.
I totally agree! ;-)

Quick Reply: Turn signal controls - why on the right grip?