Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you fill up your tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 AM
skim1420
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you fill up your tank?

When you fill up your tank, how do you know when your gas tank is full? I'm having trouble because you have to hold the gas pump collar up by hand, and on my Harley the tank hole is pretty much the same diameter as the pump nozzle, not allowing me to see the gas level.

Now I've had a few minor mishaps while filling up. The worst was that while pumping, I pulled out the nozzle a bit in an attempt to see the gas level. I (and my bike) got a fine burst of gas sprayed all over. Yeah not as funny when it happens to you.

With my old bike (Honda Shadow), the tank hole was bigger than the gas pump nozzle. That allowed me to eye the gas level as I was filling it up, so I know when to stop. I also did the tank punch (punch a hole inside the collar - use brass to avoid a spark) so the gas level settles down faster.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You definitely have to do it carefully as you have already discovered. We have that stupid rubber collar on gas pumps here in Calif so yes you have to pull that back to activate the pump.

What I do is fill up at gas stations whose pumps allow you to flow gasoline SLOWLY so you can hold the nozzle JUST BARELY at the filler hole and can watch the fuel as it gets to the top. In this way you can bring it right up to the very top of the filler neck.

Not all gas stations have pumps that let you flow gasoline slowly. They're only one speed which is usually way too much flow for having to fill a m/c as we have to. The result is fuel spilled and of course it's dangerous.

So find a gas station with pumps that fill slowly and just start to watch the fuel as it gets near the top so you can bring it to right where you want it. This is definitely not as easy as filling your car's tank, but that's how it is with these bikes.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:45 AM
DYNAJoe
Banned

Originally Posted by skim1420
When you fill up your tank, how do you know when your gas tank is full?

Unbelievable !!!...How do you know if your oil level is correct?..primary fluid?..tranny?....what about the air pressure in your tires...blinker fluid topped off?....GOT ENOUGH TOILET PAPER TO MAKE THE TRIP?...

Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I just insert the Nozzle in about 2 inches... When it shuts off thats it ... What little extra may be gained trying to get that last little bit is not worth it with a 6 gallon tank ...

Old 07-07-2009, 03:11 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

What he said!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:12 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't gotten to the gas station yet. I'm still trying to put air in my tires.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona

What I do is fill up at gas stations whose pumps allow you to flow gasoline SLOWLY ..........................Not all gas stations have pumps that let you flow gasoline slowly. They're only one speed which is usually way too much flow for having to fill a m/c as we have to. The result is fuel spilled and of course it's dangerous......................So find a gas station with pumps that fill slowly.........................
I didn't know all pumps weren't capible of variable speed. Oh well, learn something everyday.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 47Norton
I haven't gotten to the gas station yet. I'm still trying to put air in my tires.
Me neither, I'm still looking for an "Autherized HD Gas Station" so I won't void my warrenty.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 AM
08roadglidejoe
Advanced

Have you tried one of those yellow gas filler thingies? I know I know that was a lot of help.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 AM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, like many, have been concerned about filling my tank since I got my bike but, as JayStronghawk said, I just insert the Nozzle in about 2 inches. TRY to listen to the "girgle" as it nears the top. When it shuts off, thats it. After one year and many refills, no problems... yet.

Quick Reply: How do you fill up your tank?