Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals w/ Stock Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to duals still won't help the heat on your passenger feet a bit unless the kit runs the left side pipe under the oil pan like the 09 pipes. I recently installed pipes of an 09 FL on my 01 Ultra. If you keep the stock oil pan you will have to do some mods to the crossover pipe and build a exhaust hanger for under the oil pan.

My wife loves it.

Re'

Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Harvo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I'm running V&H's true duels on a 2005 Ultra with the stock mufflers and the Stage One download and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker. Like you heat was my main reason for going to the true duels. My bike runs great and no heat on the passenger from the rear pipe. I should add that I ran a set of the Harley Touring mufflers for a while and just got tired of the sound, went back to the stock to tone it down just a bit. The true duel and stock mufflers will have a different sound than the stock headpipes (little louder) but not in a bad way.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 PM
EriCal
Cruiser

My wife has true duals plus OE mufflers on her 07 RKC. True duals plus 02 SE performance mufflers was too loud so I installed the OE muffler. Result is very nice.

Eric

Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

there may be a reason it isn't done much. one of those reasons may be that there is a different size of header pipe that doesn't match with the factory mufflers? i think that my rinehart slip ons will not fit with true dual headers, if i'm not mistaken. check before you buy,

Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

The right muffler has the catalytic converter in it, it wont work and Im pretty sure the diameter is different.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Myfirst , my last bike was probably as close to a match to yours as could be.
It was a 2006 FLHT carb bike.
Both mufflers were catalyst and the exact same internally for baffling.
I carefully removed the catalyst (long story) to make sure of the muffler construction inside.
I ran Fullsac true duals for a while and it did drop some right side heat , and I liked the look.
Initially , this mod lost me a bit of low end torque , and gained a bit of high RPM power.
It also made the stock mufflers a bit louder than stock.
Don't be afraid to rejet the carb , for about $20.00 you can solve some heat issues and gain substantial power increase and my mileage went up a little.
I started to rejet the carb when the bike was bone stock and it helped my cold start and off idle performance significantly.
I ended up with a #48 Pilot jet (stock was #45) at 1 1/2 turns and a sportster needle for the midrange.
If you want , I can make sure of the sportster needle number for you if you want to try this mod.
Mick

Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda like ***** on a nun...why bother they won't do anything...LOL

Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Sounds like running a name brand true dual header or pipe with stock mufflers is possible and could reduce the heat from the passenger's right foot. Let's take this possibility further, my '06 EGC has EFI not carbs and a K&N stock replacement air filter. Will I have to have the fuel remapped?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 Glide with Rush TD and SE touring slip-ons and am very happy with heat reduction and sound. 1st Heat- i was running stock head pipes with the slip-ons but it still ran hot even with PC5, went to rush TD recommended by Jamie at Fuel Moto and heat drastically reduced. 2nd- Sound improved for the simple reason that it was coming out of both pipes not really louder just better. On my touring bike I do not want loud pipes it wears you down when on the road all day, but I do like some sound I have been very happy with SE slip-ons nice deep sound that fades away at higher consistant speeds.
As for reprogramming I believe you will have to. 06 was not using the o2 sensors, which make enough adjustments that reprogramming is not needed although I tend to recommend more air in -more air out adjust what it is doing in the middle. Good Luck

Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Harvo
Advanced
Smile

With the Vance & Hines True Duels stock/OE mufflers will fit.

Quick Reply: True Duals w/ Stock Mufflers