Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger backrest that sits farther back???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:17 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts
Default passenger backrest that sits farther back???

I bought a backrest for the ol lady today. I have it mounted on the old (obsolete) style set-up that bolts to the front of the luggage rack ('01 RK) It pushes her forward and is a little uncomfortable for her. It's HUGELY uncomfortable for me! I'm kinda leggy and I slouch when I ride. This deal with her on the bike pushes me too far forward and I can't stand it. She doesn't ride that often, so I think I'm gonna switch over to the quick disconnect set-up. Can anyone help me figure out what exactly I need to buy? Will I have to do away with my current luggage rack and tag bracket? And do they make a backrest mount that sits farther back on the bike? This pad needs to move back at least the thickness of the pad, preferably a little farther.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking at your set up, I dont think a quick disconnect setup will change the position of the backrest.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

Do they make an upright that will move it back any? I've been searching the harley site, but haven't seen anything yet. Surely I'm not the first or only person with this problem? Am I gonna have to buy a new upright then cut it up and modify it?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

Anyone??

Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM
azharleyrider86401
Cruiser

I own a 02 RK and I have the same issue. I have not found anything and was contemplating making my own bracket and then chroming it. The other option is a tour pak which I was told moves the passenger back a bit too. I even took the saddlebag guards off and went with the support's to help her with leg room. Took a while to get used to missing chrome but it helped a lot.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
Do they make an upright that will move it back any? I've been searching the harley site, but haven't seen anything yet. Surely I'm not the first or only person with this problem? Am I gonna have to buy a new upright then cut it up and modify it?

I have yet to find anything. I have a similar issue, we have a detachable tourpak which does allow a couple of inches and she got use to that. I hate riding with that big box so I just told her to get use to the backrest since the tourpak was coming off.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same problem here. I have the quick disconnect. I was thinking about trying to bend the angle of the backrest back about 10 to 15 degrees. I talked to a friend about it and he thinks it will crack the chrome and i would have to have it redone.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
azharleyrider86401
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FXDSEwannabe
Same problem here. I have the quick disconnect. I was thinking about trying to bend the angle of the backrest back about 10 to 15 degrees. I talked to a friend about it and he thinks it will crack the chrome and i would have to have it redone.
The bending would definately crack it and to "re-work" one to me seems sketchy. That thing takes a lot of load and any heating is going to change the metal properties, even chroming. If I can't purchase I will make and send out for chrome

Old 07-07-2009, 08:41 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

I honestly don't care about the chrome. If they don't make one, I'll buy one and cut it up and reweld it. It'll only be on the bike when she's riding, otherwise I'll leave it off. I can come up with something to dress up the extra ugly I'll add. Maybe wrap with leather or something. I'm looking for function first, looks second. Glad to know I'm not the only person with this issue. You'd think someone would have addressed the problem by now.

The following users liked this post:
usmcvet0331 (06-16-2024)
Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

By the way, do you guys know if I can keep my current luggage rack with the quick detach sissy bars? Or will I have to change that too?

Quick Reply: passenger backrest that sits farther back???