Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tune Liability

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dyno Tune Liability

Maybe a dumb question but here goes.

I am considering a Dyno Tune for my 09 Ultra. I have the power package with the PCV. I have talked with several people who say that the tuner at my local dealer is top notch.

My dealer is closed today so I looked on the website to read about Dyno Tune. The site says that everyone will need to sign a liability form before the bike goes on the machine. I could wait to ask them tomorrow but for now I am curious what this is all about?

Does a Dyno Tune void my warranty?

If my bike blows up while on the Dyno, does my warranty or my dealer cover the fix?

Does a Dyno Tune put the bike through any more stress than is typically expected of these machines?

Thanks

Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure someone with more knowlege than I will chime in on this. But if they blew my bike up while they are doing a dyno, you bet they would pay or be sued. And yes, it does go thru more than it normally would in normale use, at least mine anyway.
Be sure they will tune with the PC, some don't and some do.
It shouldn't void the warrenty, since there the ones doing it.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

that waiver is going to say you hold them harmless if your bike blows up. no the dyno guy is not going to buy you a new motor if yours lets go on the dyno. your warranty is certainly probably not going to cover anything if they find out it died on the dyno. its a known risk that they get flogged on the dyno, you just need to trust your tuner that he wont take it too far.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had several dyno tunes, no one has ever asked me to sign a waiver and yes they do beat your bike like a rented donkey while it's on the dyno!!
They pretty much have to, to get it to preform over the entire RPM range, the advantage of this is you know when you pull out in front of that 18 wheeler that your bike is going to do what it's suppose to do.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 PM
willie37
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I have owned my 09 Ultra for six months now and have had it dyno tuned three times and never have signed anything. I run it hard and they run it harder but i think they will take it. No lugging and no over reving and no problems.

Attached Thumbnails Dyno Tune Liability-img_2487.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, anybody can ride their bike like a rented donkey. I mean, they don't put the bike in nuetral and then go to WOT for 5 minutes do they? Is my warranty voided if I ride for 3 hours at 120mph across Nevada where theres no speed limit and take it to the rev limit on every shift? The dealer is the one that is always recomending the Dyno Tunes. More like PUSHING the Dyno Tunes. The dealer is the one that also pushes Stage 1, etc, the moment you buy the bike. The Rineharts and Power Commander and SE-AC are sitting right there on the wall for sale behind the service counter. I wouldn't sign a waiver.

Last edited by Clint55; 07-06-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If you don't want to sign the waiver, don't; and, find another dyno.

Makes sense that the dealer wants a waiver since he probably doesn't know for sure what components are in the engine, if the motor has been worked on by someone who may have put it back together wrong, if the customer knows the engine is bad and wants if flogged hoping it blows-up, etc.

The dealer probably got bit with a engine that crapped out on the dyno pre-waiver and wants to avoid buying another engine for a customer.

My dealer doesn't require a waiver, or at least they didn't last time I had my bike dynoed, but I understand why the dealer would want one.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess the point I was trying to make is that the Dyno may be very tough on the bike, but they shouldn't need to push it any harder than I could out on the open road. I fully agree that the dealer shouldn't be responsible if the bike blows up on the Dyno, but a 2009 bike that's still under warranty should still be covered by the factory warranty. The warranty should not be invalidated just because the bike is taken to the top of the limits that the bike was designed to take.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the tuner knows what he's doing, he is not going to do anything to your bike on the dyno that you can't do to it on the road. I've had 4-5 dyno tunes done to my bike over the past few years, and it still runs as good as it ever could with no damage done. My last tune was done by Bean at www.bigboyzheadporting.com, it ended up being 90 miles on the dyno covering all throttle positions and all loads............very very good tune.

Don't worry about the dyno.............your motor is stock, so everything will be fine.

Steve

Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to go ahead with the tune. I'll make a PDF of the liability form and post it here.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune Liability