Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oiling clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oiling clutch cable

what is best method for oiling/lubing clutch cable. mine is a little sticky...thanks

Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turn bar all the way to right, pull in clutch lever, insert inox lube needle into cable housing now accessible by pulling in lever, lean it up straight so oil runs down, and give bottle a few squeezes. If u want u can also seperate at adjust boot and oil lower half that way. I usually just put a bunch of drops in from top and operate clutch. Rubber band around lever helps as 3rd hand.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SPARKY01
what is best method for oiling/lubing clutch cable. mine is a little sticky...thanks
Here's my method: Loosen the clutch adjuster near the downtubes and remove the cable and lever from the handlebars. Find an envelope (large is better) in the trash and cut off one corner about 3" from the point to the long end of a triangle, then cut a small section off the corner just large enough to slip over the cable end. You're basically making a funnel out of the cutting. Insert the corner of the cutting over the cable end and using a rubber band seal the corner to the outer sleeve of the cable near the end. Orient the cable upward and the paper cutting acts as a funnel. Pour in some motor oil and give it time to trickle down, which is a fairly slow process. Do this 'til oil begins dripping out of the adjuster mechanism midway down the cable. I usually attach some paper towels to the area to keep it from dripping on the garage floor.

I also apply some graphite to the moving surfaces of the lever, as oil will attract dirt. Re-attach the lever and re-adjust the cable and you're done.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
MrMcCool
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool I use..

I have found this to be a very useful tool.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ble-Luber.aspx

Old 07-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Silvertip
Cruiser

Take the cable off the lever at the handlebars. Lay it on the floor on top of a rag for a few hours. When the tranny oil starts leaking out, its lubed, put it back on the handlebar.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

i found a dry lube in a spray can grafite crude dont stick to it.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
Here's my method: Loosen the clutch adjuster near the downtubes and remove the cable and lever from the handlebars. Find an envelope (large is better) in the trash and cut off one corner about 3" from the point to the long end of a triangle, then cut a small section off the corner just large enough to slip over the cable end. You're basically making a funnel out of the cutting. Insert the corner of the cutting over the cable end and using a rubber band seal the corner to the outer sleeve of the cable near the end. Orient the cable upward and the paper cutting acts as a funnel. Pour in some motor oil and give it time to trickle down, which is a fairly slow process. Do this 'til oil begins dripping out of the adjuster mechanism midway down the cable. I usually attach some paper towels to the area to keep it from dripping on the garage floor.

I also apply some graphite to the moving surfaces of the lever, as oil will attract dirt. Re-attach the lever and re-adjust the cable and you're done.

How do you adjust the clutch lever to return closer to the perch? Mine hangs up about 1/4" away from the perch and I always push it back with my fingers. I checked my manual but I couldn't find a clear way to adjust clutch frmo the downtubes.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Default wow

Originally Posted by Silvertip
Take the cable off the lever at the handlebars. Lay it on the floor on top of a rag for a few hours. When the tranny oil starts leaking out, its lubed, put it back on the handlebar.
Now this is tooooo precious.
I love it.
...gene

Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Silvertip Hmmmmm

Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Silvertip
SWEET!!!!!
Simple tricks are just awesome.......

Quick Reply: oiling clutch cable