Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM
jimhartman
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rider Backrest

I purchased the basic rider backrest (52572-09A) and use it with the stock 2009 Ultra seat. It pushes me too far forward. The backrest hardware kit can be mounted in the 3rd most rear position. The furthest rear position will not allow the stock seat to be mounted.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can you bend the arms of the backrest? Does the adjustable backrest lean back further or give you more room?

Thanks for the help.

JH

Old 07-06-2009, 11:50 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I moved my backrest to the rearmost position for several months but now moved it back to the 3rd one. The seat mounted fine in the rear position. It was just a little harder to take the backrest in and out.

You can bend the arms a little. Remove the center spring, use a piece of pipe over the legs and bend them just a little - be sure they are both bend the same. A little bend goes a long way once mounted and then you can use the adjustment screw.

What I found was not that the backrest was too close but that the angle seemed to push me forward.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the adjustable backrest for my 09 UC and there is plenty of room for adjustment fore and aft.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Before you attempt to bend the legs on the backrest try mounting the bracket in the rear most position, maybe even put a washer under the bracket so it can rock a little, & changing that strap on the front to a longer piece that will allow the bracket to lean a little. A little change in angle will give you a lot of adjustment at the top of that backrest.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM
jimhartman
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll try spacers on the forward part of the bracket first, bending the arms second.

I'm curious, though. JustDennis, you said that you were able to install the bracket at the rear-most position. Do you have an 07 or earlier? The reason I ask is that I tried that mount position and the formed well in the seat frame wouldn't allow the bracket up in without pulling the seat back and out of the forward mount. I beleive they changed the seats in 08.

JH

**I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead. JB**