Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaks covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:58 AM
kst8catfan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Leaks covered under warranty?

My '07 Ultra has been marking its territory for a couple months now. The size of the oil spot varies from a drop to something about the size of a baseball, depending...

Fourth of July morning I spent several hours with degreaser and a brush and water scrubbing everything i could get to. I rode across town yesterday and, sure enough when I got to my destination, it left a spot about the size of a half dollar. I peeked underneath the best I could, and it appears to be the center case gasket leaking.

After calling the local dealer to see if I still had warranty (of course I don't) I was wondering if oil leaks are covered anyway. I'm a few months out of warranty but only have 13,000 miles, so I could still buy the extended warranty.

I'm assuming if my leak does turn out to be the center gasket, this could be a rather costly fix...something I don't have the ability to do myself. But, I'm thinking the added expense of an extended warranty would be justified by this one repair.

Are oil leaks covered?
Anyone else have opinions on which way to go?

Kris

Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as I know oil leaks are covered under warranty.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 AM
nocages4me
Tourer

My 07 Road Glide had the same issue, mine was leaking from the bottom and some was actually running the seam and up where the tranny bolts to the case so it initially appeared that it was weeping a bit but they fixed mine under warranty. It turned out they had to split the cases to fix it so it would be quite expensive to fix.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2007 Ultra did the same thing, it started about 3 weeks after my warranty expired. My dealer offered to absorb the labor if I paid the parts/materials bill of about $95 - cheaper than buying the extended warranty although I didn't think that was an option.

I suspect they were able to get HD to cover their labor somehow but I didn't care.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:35 AM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To my knowledge, once your originally warrenty expires you cannot buy the factory extended warranty.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 AM
kst8catfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
To my knowledge, once your originally warrenty expires you cannot buy the factory extended warranty.
I was just going by this publication (borrowed from another thread)....looks like you can.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leaks covered under warranty?-serviceplanc.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior

My '07 SG developed a slight leak just like you described (mainly dots here and there) at about 8k miles. I waited a few weeks until the 10k service and asked my service manager about it. Turns out my 24 month warranty had just expired, and they wouldn't fix it under warranty (but would have if I'd only broought it in sooner). I ended up trading that bike in, so they got it, leak and all, and ended up fixing it before they put it on the floor. Next time I'll bring her in as soon as I notice a leak.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Corndog
Cruiser

My 2007 RKC did the same thing. I caught it and had it repaired 2 days before my original 2 year warranty expired. The service manager said it was a good thing that it happened during the original warranty because it would not have been covered under my extended warranty. Don't know if that's a fact, but that's what he told me. They do have to split the cases and replace the gasket.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the idea of purchasing a new warranty to avoid the cost of fixing a problem that you already know about seems a little on the south side of honorable.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
What they said!

Hope you checked the fluid levels...My scoot developed a leak at the transmission side door 2 weeks ago with 35K miles on it. The bottom two bolts fell out somewhere between the Dragon and Maggie Valley and it lost about 4 ounces.

Last edited by Olde Skool; 07-06-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks covered under warranty?