Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaks covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by toadmanor
OK, so my 2007 Ultra is doing the same thing...a drop here and there. Dealer says its an Inner Primary Leak. So is this just a gasket replacement? He said four hors to fix it.

Can it be done in my garage?
I had my inner primary off twice the other day, in a lot less than 4 hours total...........

Yes, you can do it yourself in your garage, as long as you have the tools required to do it.

<edit> - just a thought here....... make sure it's not coming out the vent tube for the transmission. If your transmission is a little over filled, it'll drip from the vent tube and can look just like an inner primary leak.

Last edited by cuda67bnl; 07-06-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,487 Posts

man, i can't believe the misinformation that flies around. first, if you have an oil leak, then something is not right, if you're under warranty, they get to fix it. period.

secondly, in the 'publication' that you showed above, it doesn't say anywhere that you can purchase it after expiration of factory warranty.

the link provided above clearly shows that you can not buy the extended warranty after the factory warranty expires.

if this were your car and it developed an oil leak, wouldn't you expect the dealer to fix it? why is it any different with your bike?

also, this quote
I agree that you would think that they want the work, however they make more money on non-warranty work because they can charge the actual hours worked where as warranty is paid at what the factory says it takes to tear it down and put it back together. As we all know if the HD says 2 hours for a job it is going to take 3 or 4 because we all run into issue during tear down or reassembly. Plus they would rather put on accessories and charge a fortune for that instead.
is totally erroneous. there is a flat rate charge for just about anything done to your bike, except custom mods. so if it takes them 2 hrs or 10 hrs, the labor charge is set. of course there are some exceptions to that, such as electrical which is not flat rate, but most repairs are. that is where a good mechanic makes his money. he gets paid for a 4 hr job, that he completed in 2.5 hrs, and is working on the next 4 hr job. if he can get 12hrs of labor squeezed into an 8 hr day, he is way ahead of the game.

Last edited by skratch; 07-06-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:26 PM
kst8catfan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch

secondly, in the 'publication' that you showed above, it doesn't say anywhere that you can purchase it after expiration of factory warranty.

the link provided above clearly shows that you can not buy the extended warranty after the factory warranty expires.
Hmmmmm....the picture I posted clearly says "If you purchase the Extended Service Plan at a later time, a $150 Extended Eligibility surcharge will apply for all new motorcycles if the contract sales date is greater than ninety (90) days from the in-service date, or the mileage is greater than two thousand (2,000) miles.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
toadmanor
Road Captain

East scratch easy now...

Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Gregte
Advanced
Wink Extended Warranty

Originally Posted by Corndog
My 2007 RKC did the same thing. I caught it and had it repaired 2 days before my original 2 year warranty expired. The service manager said it was a good thing that it happened during the original warranty because it would not have been covered under my extended warranty. Don't know if that's a fact, but that's what he told me. They do have to split the cases and replace the gasket.
Seals and gaskets are all covered under the extended HD warranty. You scared me with this post so I checked the warranty under what is covered. I think the service guy was hosin' you.

Last edited by Gregte; 07-06-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
becker213
Intermediate

I bit the bullet and bought the Extended Service Plan when I bought my '07 Ultra, 25K miles ago. I just had a leaking inner primary seal replaced under the plan last Friday.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by kst8catfan
Hmmmmm....the picture I posted clearly says "If you purchase the Extended Service Plan at a later time, a $150 Extended Eligibility surcharge will apply for all new motorcycles if the contract sales date is greater than ninety (90) days from the in-service date, or the mileage is greater than two thousand (2,000) miles.
well, i don't know about 'clearly', but i did go back and look at it with my reading glasses on this time and saw that little blurb. so i'm guessing with the fine print, that means, after 90 days of buying the bike (or 2000 miles) and before the factory warranty expires......

Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
kst8catfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skratch
well, i don't know about 'clearly', but i did go back and look at it with my reading glasses on this time and saw that little blurb. so i'm guessing with the fine print, that means, after 90 days of buying the bike (or 2000 miles) and before the factory warranty expires......

You could very well be right about the intent of the wording. Some Harley dealers are known for, IMO, looking for ways of pushing customers away by taking the attitude that it's "not our fault". Nobody is "blaming" the dealer for anything wrong in this situation. Stuff happens in Harley life that is beyond their control. Instead I feel they should be looking for ways to keep their customers coming back.

Look, don't get me wrong here. If my Ultra was 1-2 years out of warranty I wouldn't have raised this thread at all. It IS, after all, my own fault I didn't pay for the extended warranty in the first place. That's my tough luck and now, my bad decision. But I know in other industries, including automotive, some brand representatives will go that extra step when a warranty is close to take care of the customer and do everything they reasonably can to keep that customer coming back for future sales. Sam Walton became the richest man in America because of customer service like that.

The amount I'd have to pay for getting the extended warranty today, a few months out of original warranty, is the same amount I would have paid the day of the sale 2 years ago. So what possible difference could it make anyway. If I'd added $2000 to the price of the sale or hand them a check for $2000 today is all the same money. It'd help me out of this situation and any future situation up until the end of the extended warranty. So, if I'm willing to shell out the money for an extended warranty now, why not just pay for the repair instead? I can see this as being a somewhat expensive repair and if my Ultra is having this problem with only 12,000 miles on it, what else could go wrong in the next 1-2 years? I mean if something as simple as a gasket leaking can cost that much to repair, who knows that maybe mine is one of those 5:00 p.m.-Friday-before-a-holiday bikes. Maybe Bubba, the new employee at Harley, decided those main bearings "look close enough".

Last edited by kst8catfan; 07-07-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kst8catfan
The amount I'd have to pay for getting the extended warranty today, a few months out of original warranty, is the same amount I would have paid the day of the sale 2 years ago. So what possible difference could it make anyway. If I'd added $2000 to the price of the sale or hand them a check for $2000 today is all the same money. It'd help me out of this situation and any future situation up until the end of the extended warranty. So, if I'm willing to shell out the money for an extended warranty now, why not just pay for the repair instead? I can see this as being a somewhat expensive repair and if my Ultra is having this problem with only 12,000 miles on it, what else could go wrong in the next 1-2 years? I mean if something as simple as a gasket leaking can cost that much to repair, who knows that maybe mine is one of those 5:00 p.m.-Friday-before-a-holiday bikes. Maybe Bubba, the new employee at Harley, decided those main bearings "look close enough".
Hard to believe that you can't grasp the reality that NO ONE would ever sell a new warranty to repair a now out of warranty bike with a known problem. It's like having no car insurance and then you drive the car into a tree. So you go to State Farm and say "I just got in a wreck and so I'd like to buy some insurance so I don’t have to pay for the repair".

Wait, I just had a brilliant thought……….Maybe you have the answer to Obama’s universal healthcare problem. Everybody can just let their current health insurance expire, and then when they get sick or hurt, they can just buy new insurance to pay for the fix.

Why didn’t I think of that…….

Old 07-07-2009, 04:53 PM
kst8catfan
Intermediate

I understand your concept just fine.

What you aren't able to grasp is that situations like this happen ALL THE TIME, believe it or not. And we're not talking about something I destroyed through any personal negligence.

Another example: You decide not to pay for insurance for your cell phone. You run it through the washer, purely by accident. Do you A: go to the phone carrier and pay full retail price for a new Blackberry that could possibly run into the hundreds of dollars or B: follow the advice of the cell phone carrier reps and take out the insurance policy, then wait 5 days without your cell phone until you can turn it in as accidental loss.

I know what I'm gonna do.

If you wanna be all righteous and attempt to make this issue into some type of theft, go right ahead.

You'll call it dishonest for me to ask for some "above and beyond" customer service, I'll call it a good policy to keep their customers coming back for a long time and making more profit.

Oh and your little healthcare jab doesn't hold water. If that concept was 100% accurate, insurance companies wouldn't use the sales pitch "no screening for preexisting conditions". I see it on TV all the time.

Last edited by kst8catfan; 07-07-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks covered under warranty?